ovation question

tippmannator

this summer I picked up a 1990(I think) ovation for the kids for $400. yesterday on our first big family ride, it burned down both cylinders. when the shop dug into it, the also told me the crank bearings are shot. With all these issues, it doesn't seem worth it to rebuild price wise. (im not mechanically inclined enough to do it myself to save labor costs). thoughts?

Sure as sh*t in a cat it would cost more than $400 bucks to rebuild by a shop(pressing new bearings on a crankshaft).Then you have to make sure the carb is working right or the same thing will happen again.Alot more money and risk.....

A buddy suggested looking for a used motor for cheap.....but my fear is I'm back in the same boat 20 miles later....will a motor other than an ovation fit?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ovation is a 340 enticer motor basically. the late 70's to 90's enticer 300/340/400 motors should all work. i would be parinoid and do both crank seals on the new motor before you install it to prevent another burndown unless you hear the motor run before you buy it.

This summer I picked up a ( 1990 ) Ovation-340 for the kids for $400.
Yesterday on our first big family ride, it burned down both cylinders.
When the shop dug into it, the also told me the crank bearings are shot.
With all these issues, it doesn't seem worth it to rebuild price wise.
(im not mechanically inclined enough to do it myself to save labor costs).
Thoughts ?
You have to find out why it burned down on both cylinders before you do anything else !

Back