02 Viper warning light and fuel symbol and gage flashing 8 times

gil7247

VIP Member
My 02 Viper started with the warning light fuel symbol and fuel gage (bars) flashing 8 times then a pause then 8 times. I checked all connections etc and it continues to flash. Tank is about 3/4 full and if I reach in an push down on the float and hold it in the lower position the gage will read correctly and the flashing stops. If I release the float, it will rise to the top and the flashing will continue. Is this a bad sending unit? Is there a way to test it before I order a new one for $51.00. Any advice would be appreciated. GIL

I have no experience with this kind of failure but it sounds like you are correct . The sensor may have open segments in certain positions which you should be able to determine by testing with an ohmmeter

I just replaced the fuel sensor with a brand new one and viola no more flashes. The used one I had on hand must have been bad also. The gage was reading full, so to make sure I drain off a few gallons from the tank and started it again. The gage moved appropriately. I did notice the float arm on the new sensor had a very slight drag as it went through its range. Possibly from the little finger that attaches to the float arm and slides up and down the winding. The used ones flopped back and forth with no drag at all. Thanks everyone for the advice. GIL

Back