Fouling plugs..dirty carbs?

SRXChris

Ran my sled about 800 KM this year, has worked fairly well other than the skid I had to pull mid year again. Changed plugs already once this year as it seemed to have a low idle 1000 rpm. CLeared it up for awhile. Now Last night before taking my son for a ride it idled pretty low seemed like it wanted to stall as well. Took sled down road and it seems rough till I pulled over let my son off and cleaned it out. Idled fine after that. 1500 rpm I run only premium non ethanol fuel. Only use the ECS plugs. Pulled the plugs out they were oily and black as they were earlier this year.

Had carbs cleaned at start of year but now thinking it was done poorly. If it was electrical changing plugs shouldn't cure it? I was thinking about doing plug ends and checking stator but leaning towards carbs needing another cleaning. My start up procedure when starting is full choke, start keeping choke on about 5 seconds, flipping it off and then back to half choke when it needs it. Let it warm up a few minutes and go never hard on it till its warm.

Other than this issue this sled runs great IMO but I've never owned anything like it before. Pulls very hard.starts seems fast but I've never come close to max speed maybe 85 MPH or 140 km/hr, to nervous to go faster on a trail.

After all that should I start with the carb cleaning or look elsewhere? Thanks.

cleaning the carbs would be first, then if it acts like it drops a cylinder or runs bad at different rpm, it will likely be the spark plug caps on the end of the coil wires.

I have had needle and seat o-rings cause trouble like that too, wouldn't hurt to pull them and check condition.
If they have never been replaced,i would just replace them, not that spendy.

Allright I'l probably have to clean those carbs. Going to run it tomorrow with the fresh plugs, than later this week hopefully pull carbs and clean. Hard to find time this time of the year. Thanks.

Not sure if was carbs or not, paid to have them cleaned with new plug caps and plugs. Melted pistons and 2 jugs look done. Parts hard to locate so it may get parted out. Sad as I love sled and just spent 500 on it. Unless damage was done before carb clean and that last WOT was all the old girl could handle, hit 106 and than BWOOOOOAAAAAA BWOOAAAAAAAA fell flat from 8600 to 7000. Powervalves done in by melted pistons.

Not sure if was carbs or not, paid to have them cleaned with new plug caps and plugs. Melted pistons and 2 jugs look done. Parts hard to locate so it may get parted out. Sad as I love sled and just spent 500 on it. Unless damage was done before carb clean and that last WOT was all the old girl could handle, hit 106 and than BWOOOOOAAAAAA BWOOAAAAAAAA fell flat from 8600 to 7000. Powervalves done in by melted pistons.

Ouch, sorry to hear that :(

If somebody else did the carbs just before the failure, I would bring it back and ask to watch them pull and disassemble the carbs and explain how thats not why it died.

Back