2000 SRX steering stem snapped

00SRXWHERRY

Don’t know if this is common but had my steering stem snap just below the weld at the plate on the top. Got lucky it broke when it did. What have you guys done to fix it. Want this to be reliable don’t want this to happen ever again while riding. Almost was bad. Should I replace or have it rewelded.

I have read this was a common problem. I found a round tube that fit good and snug and welded it to the top on mine. I can't remember what I used or what size it was. I would find a piece that fits snug and jam it in there then weld it where it broke and at the top. I more than likely drilled through the stem towards the bottom of the insert and plug welded it too.

Last edited:
1. Threaded rod cut to appropriate length.
2. Tap inside of steering stem on both pieces.
3. After all is assembled w/ red locktite, weld it up. 2x or 3x that it is square and where it should be.

sleeve it and reweld it or replace with 2001 or newer. usually they break from addition of handlebar risers. To replace it, basicly, the motor needs to come out, or at least all the mounts unbolted and tilted way up to get access to the lower mount bolts. If you opt to weld it, unplug the cdi box before welding it.

Thanks for the reply guys. Think I’m going to go the rod reinforcement. Put a rod in it weld that in drill the top and weld that and then reweld the tube. Is it the top that was the weak spot or is it know to break elsewhere? No riser by the way.

Last edited:

Back