Viper Help!! Overheat issue.

D6B87AE1-A884-4AB3-BB7B-D0021B8B8773.jpgI will check the sled over in the off season and report back. I just put on 100 miles with my son on the back with scratchers down... worked but the light would come on the minute we hit a thin area. Hopefully I can improve the cooling on it because the m-20 with the tripple is a fun 2-up!

Last edited:
Mechanical seal seeping on water pump . Common issue . Sometimes difficult to detect as only leaks when running and coolant burns off . As coolant level gets low in bottle air is drawn into system causing temp to rise and light to come on.
Just re-reading over everything. I’m leaning towards this in specific. At any rate... I would say it’s pump related.

I would try changing the sensor if you are not losing coolant. You could have had an air bubble come out when you first lost coolant.

I would try changing the sensor if you are not losing coolant. You could have had an air bubble come out when you first lost coolant.

I had temp sensor pick ups that get discolored from so many heat cycles and low coolant that they dont work accurately. Are you loosing coolant?

If I run with the light on long enough... I will lose coolant. If I stop as soon as it comes on no coolant loss.
This definitely does not sound like a sensor issue. Your sled is overheating and if you are not careful you are risking a meltdown (voice of experience). Sounds like you are losing coolent from the overflow. This happens when the engine overheats and the coolent expands because the engine is beyond normal operating temps.

Have you tried replacing the thermostat?? This was the problem with mine that lead to the PTO cylinder seizure after multiple temp light warnings. I have done a bit of research on thermostats and found if a bit of wax leaks out over time, the thermostat will not open all the way, or may take hotter temps to open it fully. If putting snow on the running boards is cooling the engine it means the pump is working. It's so easy and inexpensive, it's really worth giving it a try, I wish I had done it sooner.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

All of my 2 stroke sleds have the thermostat removed. There are a few easy things you need to do in order for this to work properly. Once completed, the temps stay at a safe level and the motor runs more consistent regardless of ambient temperatures with NO worries of T-stat problems. PM me if interested.

I read through this and it looks as if you covered everything. Only thought was did you change the coolant overflow cap? Ive had all mine fail and not hold pressure and would leak coolant out overflow. If i didnt pay attention it would run low on coolant and overheat. New caps are a bit pricey but did fix my problem with my 04, then when i had same symptoms on 02's i changed cap and problem solved.

I read through this and it looks as if you covered everything. Only thought was did you change the coolant overflow cap? Ive had all mine fail and not hold pressure and would leak coolant out overflow. If i didnt pay attention it would run low on coolant and overheat. New caps are a bit pricey but did fix my problem with my 04, then when i had same symptoms on 02's i changed cap and problem solved.
Good point, I guess an easy way to check pressure is to give the hose going to the head a squeeze after it warms up and see if there is any pressure. If no pressure builds up, cap is usually the culprit. Another thing I have seen is a distorted reservoir bottle neck, but if there's no pressure I would try changing the cap first.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Back