02 viper700 is a pig on fuel!!!

Cooper0809

So it’s been a while since I’ve owned a triple and probably just forgotten how they are on fuel. It takes double the fuel (premium) as my new viper. This is all at speeds of 30-50km/hr. I have fuel screws set at 2 turns out on the carbs. Not sure where they should be set, or maybe something else is wrong or maybe it’s all just normal. Did about 120kms with the girlfriend today and I think it burnt around 40-50 litres of fuel.
any insight on this would be very helpful! Thanks guys!

Make sure the line from the carbs to the airbox is hooked up and check that the choke cable is set properly and closing all the way. Sometimes the cable can get stiff when they get old and not let the choke close all the way. My viper gets in between 10-11 mpg. That is with my wife driving it and the needles set at 3.25 and everything else is stock. Does it have the stock single pipe?

make sure you do not have any bad boggie wheels or an over tight track. it makes a big difference believe me.

Plugs are nice a nice tan brown. Choke is set. Boggies and track are good. Pulls hard to 8500rpm. Runs and drives great! Maybe these triples are just hogs compared to my new sled lol idk...

the old vipers usually averaged between 11-15mpg depending on driver/conditions. in wet sticky snow or powder riding, they could drop to 8-10mpg, seen it quite a few times on brothers 02 and dads 05 vipers. the three hole four stroker in the new vipers would get between 18-25mpg in the vectors and ventures. odds are it is fine when you check it

Right on! Thanks maim! So I just looked at receipts from last nights ride after filling up today. The 700 took 19.6L and the new viper took 14.2L...not sure how many miles we did but that was the fuel difference. Actually not that bad imo!

Eh Jeff how’s it hangin. Not an exact comparison but my srx will get 180kms and still have 5-7liters left in the tank riding trails that are 35-55kmh (tight n twisty).
Went to cochrane last week and rode the wot 407 highway trails that are 60-100kmh and used 26 liters over150km. I think they like higher speeds lol

How did you get the needles to become 3,25? I thought it only was possible with 0,5 increments?

Back