Ohlin front shocks help

JumperJoe

Buying a pair of Ohlin front shocks for my 98 SRX. They are off his sled and in a box.
How do I know if they are still good and fresh? He said he thinks they were used two seasons but is not sure. The pair I currently have on my sled have 9000 miles and need rebuilt so I figured I just buy these for
now. I really appreciate any help you or tips.

You can’t other then obvious oil leaking. You can take spring off and compress shock and see how it rebounds. But really any shock needs a rebuild every so often And it’s always best to have it revalved to your weight and riding style. But they are a huge upgrade so run them and have them rebuilt in spring.

Yep just like he said!!! You have them off now better just get them redone and put them on fresh.

Thank you both for the advice. I’ll have them rebuilt in the spring. Found a guy on Craigslist that does them for $35 each if nothing else is needed. Got this new set for $150 and they look like they are in great shape too.

How can you tell when the back shocks need to be rebuilt/replaced? I have 2 - 98 SRXs and one is super sloppy compared to the other one. The big shock on both of them are on same setting (firm). I lift the back end on the one (9000) and it rises then falls more then the other. Easier to lift too. Like there is more slop. One has 4000 miles the other has 9000. The front shock on the skid(9000) is different then the 4000 shock too. Any suggestions? Not sure where to start...

Back