Reverse Compression Spring? Part No. 90501-06022-00

GudeMN

Soooo....... I'm deep into butchering my first track change. With the help of many (shout out to Couple of Bucks) I have gotten my track off and am trying to put everything back together.

I am missing the compression spring referenced in the title. #25 in the exploded view

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/snowmobile/2001/sx700r-vx700f/alternate-reverse-gear-kit

Tbh, I don't recall dropping it upon removal but I cleaned up oil and debris below the chaincase once it was pulled and I may have tossed it. I am due to ride Wednesday through Sunday but haven't been able to locate a source for this part that can get it to me in short order.

If I can't get the part in time is it possible for me to not install still be able to go forward and forget about backing up for the time being? I actually don't know the purpose of the spring.

Thanks for reading and I don't blame you if you're laughing. I started this a week ago and I'm still scrambling. What a circus!!

you can probably get away without it. if i had one i would send it to you but i do not have one. looks like a similar set up as my apex and rx war had. looks like it holds the gears slightly apart and provides some torsional resistance.

Thanks. I just spoke with someone at a local dealer. That don't have the part (can order from California!!) but he mentioned the same thing.

As long as I'm not dead in the water I'll probably put it back in like that and revisit in spring/summer when it's warmer and I don't have a deadline looming.

More input welcomed and appreciated.

In a pinch I’ve used a spring from a ball point clicker pen. I don’t know exactly what it does but obviously it’s needed. I did change it out once I got the OEM part but the pen spring seemed to work fine and seemed almost the same spring length and tension.

In a pinch I’ve used a spring from a ball point clicker pen. I don’t know exactly what it does but obviously it’s needed. I did change it out once I got the OEM part but the pen spring seemed to work fine and seemed almost the same spring length and tension.

Good to know for the future.

I found a spring that would work in an assortment I bought at Home Depot. I was going to cut it to size since the spring I bought is 1 inch and the OEM spring is 3/4".....but the coils of the OEM appear thicker, probably producing more force than the spring I purchased. My thinking was to cut my spring a little long to maybe make up for the discrepancy.

Any thoughts?

all that spring does is allow the gears to be easily engages. may have to wiggle the shifter around a bit without it to engage reverse as i had to when mine was broken

That’s good to know. I’m 95% sure there wasn’t a spring in there when I pulled the gears.

While I’m thinking of it....which gear goes on first? I took the chaincase apart 4-5 days ago and have forgotten how I laid them down? I haven’t looked closely yet but I’m guessing they aren’t both the same.

Thanks.

I think the wider one goes on first as it rides on the chain, the narrower one engages the reverse gear and goes on second.

Back