1979 SRX 440 cylinder # ID/location

Big Block Bill

I Just got done rebuilding 2 of my Engines and I believe I have reversed the Slides in the carbs. Which cylinder is #1 according to Yamaha? I have (2) NOS #8A8-14112-20 slides which shows to be for Cylinder #1 and (2) NOS 8A8-14113-20 slides which shows for cylinder # 2 but nowhere in the shop manual does show which cylinder is which. I assume #1 is closest to the drive clutch. There is a cut out on one side if the slide and I am trying to figure out if that cut out goes to the cylinder (piston) side or the air box side. These NOS slides could have been mis-boxed for all I know. I have had them for 25 years (bought 1 sled new in 1978). I appreciate any information that can be supplied.

Big Block Bill

#1 is clutch side. Slide adjuster screws in carb body sides are on the outside (one towards clutch, one towards recoil). Cut away goes to airbox. Should be a angle cut ramp into the slides that the adjusting screws contact to raise or lower slide.

Hard to screw this one up if you look at it.

opsled

Thanks opsled

That is what I thought, #1 is the clutch side, and the cutout goes to the airbox. I appreciate your input. "Hard to screw this one up if you look at it Not if you "Over Think It", like I always do. Hopefully this complete rebuild (crank shaft rebuild with new bearings & seals) will stop me from burning down pistons! What a GAS to drive these old SRX's

Bill

Back