2001 crankshaft and parts

SRXChris

2001 crankshaft and parts/Meltdown

If these are no longer available from dealer the crank bearings and rods all came as a kit, is used the only way to go?

I'm going to rebuild mine this summer as piston melted on me. Looking at parts I see jug still available but crank and parts are not.

Wihat year crank works in 2001, can I use 99, 00, 02? What about jugs are they interchangeable as well?

Last edited:

As far as top end kits, they are plentiful on the market. IMO the best way to go is with the SPI kit with an opticool head gasket. Jugs there are some news out there and used just have to peck around a bit to find one. sa far as cranks , yeah either rebuild for about 400 to 500 or new for about 700. I wouldnt go used on that unless you know the engine and owner it came out. Im not sure about which years are interchange with 2001 viper. Im curious to know myself.

They carry new jugs but used are plentiful. Cranks and rods etc look obsolete. Begun the teardown and see 1 bad jug, others look ok. See no metal in lower end but will have to take apart anyway. Was worried I would find something in there but so far visual inspection looks good. THe Peak heads may be done alot of metal stuck to top, I have spare blue tops. I'll post some pics of the meltdown.

2000-02 srx cranks interchange, it is possible to use a 98-99 crank in a 2000-02 srx but you must use the outer crank bearings from 2000-02. The 98-99 cranks were not welded so they need to be trued and welded before using them. A viper crankshaft from 2002-2005 will also interchange into a 2000-02 srx, even the end bearings are the same, its just a different style crank throw but it doesn't make any power difference.

2000-02 srx cylinders and heads interchange, they are marked 8dn10, the 98-99 srx cylinders and heads are marked 8dn-00 and are different porting specs as well as head volume so you don't want to mix and match them.

What are the effects of Running 8dn-10 heads with 8dn-00 cylinders? I was under the impression the 10s made more compression was all and would be beneficial to 98-99?

2000-02 srx cranks interchange, it is possible to use a 98-99 crank in a 2000-02 srx but you must use the outer crank bearings from 2000-02. The 98-99 cranks were not welded so they need to be trued and welded before using them. A viper crankshaft from 2002-2005 will also interchange into a 2000-02 srx, even the end bearings are the same, its just a different style crank throw but it doesn't make any power difference.

2000-02 srx cylinders and heads interchange, they are marked 8dn10, the 98-99 srx cylinders and heads are marked 8dn-00 and are different porting specs as well as head volume so you don't want to mix and match them.

What's your experience with bottom end failures from a top end piston melt down? DO they usually experience any issues after? I will be splitting the cases to check it out and clean anyway.

I see the 02 Viper crank assembly is still available from Yamaha for a low sum of 1300 USD.:shock:

Hopefully mine is ok. Good to know to avoid the 98-99 cranks and cylinders.

So far just a jug, topend and a new power valve blade among all the others odds and ends.

Thanks.

As far as top end kits, they are plentiful on the market. IMO the best way to go is with the SPI kit with an opticool head gasket. Jugs there are some news out there and used just have to peck around a bit to find one. sa far as cranks , yeah either rebuild for about 400 to 500 or new for about 700. I wouldnt go used on that unless you know the engine and owner it came out. Im not sure about which years are interchange with 2001 viper. Im curious to know myself.

Where would one locate this SPI top end kit?

Where would one locate this SPI top end kit?

Ebay.. you will get the best price for the full kit with gaskets. The SPI kit pistons and rings are OEM spec. One thing on the SPI rings is to check ring gap everyone Ive used checked out good but Ive read the rings might need filing not much but enough that it makes a difference in the ring gap. Other then that its a very very nice kit that doesnt break the bank. In fact I carry a full rebuild kit with me when I travel with my sled so if it pops and Im lucky its only top end, I can rebuild it in the trailer in a matter of about 90 minutes or so and be back at it again..

What's your experience with bottom end failures from a top end piston melt down? DO they usually experience any issues after? I will be splitting the cases to check it out and clean anyway.

I see the 02 Viper crank assembly is still available from Yamaha for a low sum of 1300 USD.:shock:

Hopefully mine is ok. Good to know to avoid the 98-99 cranks and cylinders.

So far just a jug, topend and a new power valve blade among all the others odds and ends.

Thanks.

if its all cleaned out(debris) the bottomends are usually fine, if it had a lot of detonation for a long time there will be play in the lower rod bearings, if you grab a rod and it has no up and down play its fine, there is some sideways play, that's normal.

as far as replacement pistons, I would stick with oem Yamaha, they are a powder forged unit and way, way stonger and more durable then the cheap aftermarket kits, which are cast and do not have the life of the oem units. Yamaha has superior quality pistons and rings.

Ebay.. you will get the best price for the full kit with gaskets. The SPI kit pistons and rings are OEM spec. One thing on the SPI rings is to check ring gap everyone Ive used checked out good but Ive read the rings might need filing not much but enough that it makes a difference in the ring gap. Other then that its a very very nice kit that doesnt break the bank. In fact I carry a full rebuild kit with me when I travel with my sled so if it pops and Im lucky its only top end, I can rebuild it in the trailer in a matter of about 90 minutes or so and be back at it again..

Thank you sir.

if its all cleaned out(debris) the bottomends are usually fine, if it had a lot of detonation for a long time there will be play in the lower rod bearings, if you grab a rod and it has no up and down play its fine, there is some sideways play, that's normal.

as far as replacement pistons, I would stick with oem Yamaha, they are a powder forged unit and way, way stonger and more durable then the cheap aftermarket kits, which are cast and do not have the life of the oem units. Yamaha has superior quality pistons and rings.

No up and down play some side to side but minimal. Will clean it all out and take a look at it and change seals since it's being torn apart.
I've always used OEM on this sled after my first order of aftermarket parts was a waste of time, fit and finish was horrible.

Thanks for the advice and help.

This forum has to be one of my favorites.

No up and down play some side to side but minimal. Will clean it all out and take a look at it and change seals since it's being torn apart.
I've always used OEM on this sled after my first order of aftermarket parts was a waste of time, fit and finish was horrible.

Thanks for the advice and help.

This forum has to be one of my favorites.

THIS! I learn more and more everyday from this place! So nice to have these around still! :)

Back