02 SRX 700 Base gasket question

SRXlife

Had the heads shaved to far so going with a thicker base gasket. How will it respond with advancing port timing too.

Personally I'd get another set of heads and either start over with having those one shaved or leave the stock ones alone.From what reading I've done having the heads shaved isn't really enough,most engine builders will also say you need the combustion chambers recut as well.

base gasket thickness has huge affect on port timing. but you need to have heads right for clearance. i learned the hard way once on a 780 i did with the wrong heads. i was very lucky i caught it. 3:16x (yammie tony)

if you flat cut them too much you simply need to have the squish recut on them, what is the current squish clearance as of now after your recut? what fuel are you going to run thru this engine?

the reason a thicker base gasket isn't a good idea is you cant get rid of the extra deck clearance, when piston is at top dead center it will be below the deck even more then stock and it also changes the piston to port timing /opening. Other reason is you raise all of the ports which most times is not optimal for performance, where as a port job you change the port timing on select ports.

Last edited:
Sent them out to Hauck Powersports to have the heads cut for 93 but he broke a bit when I called him and the next day he called me and said he shaved more off so I need a thicker base gasket. and I asked him if it will f**k up the port timing and he said no it will help. They will be showing up in a couple days 🤢

They showed up today looks like he cut the squish band I installed one the squish is a little over 1mm

Back