Years with Yamaha SXViper

Bulkhead is okay, if front shocks bottom that causes bulkhead cracks. Most biggest problem is front cooler and sump shield rivets. All rivets are loosen or off. I think i'm going to replace them with long 6.4mm steel rivets and add some aluminium profile.

But today i finally get engine running, that feeling was awesome 8)
ready (2).jpg
One exhaust flange is leaking a little, but i think that i'm going to put some heat silicon, i don't want to cut and weld those pipes anymore. It was pretty annoying job to get everything fit and build those silencers.

ready1.jpg
Next step is build exhaust gas temperature meter and paint some YAMAHA logo to seat, like original seat. And also i need to find some motivation to create a code for arduino, i already have a 4-channel egt-k "amplifier" and all connectors ready!
I think that it would be most easiest way buy some, but i wan't to make everything by myself.

Last edited:

Little update, i bought another viper! Or actually i change those speedwerx pipes to viper frame. I thought that i put 780 on frame that i bought and then i fix my modded yamaha`s frame. I think that i put stock 700 with bender 4x4 pipe and finally build rack steering on it. What do you think?

IMG_20190909_185948__01.jpg

As you can see on the pic that swaybar is assembled wrong... But that is now fixed, windshield is is cutted to low and i make my own style cold air intake also 8)

Whenever you get those 2-speed HeelClickers, insure that the pivot pin update has been done. Or needs to be done. I remember someone saying something about that. I think in another of your threads. I don't want it to fail and wipe out your clutch.

Whenever you get those 2-speed HeelClickers, insure that the pivot pin update has been done. Or needs to be done. I remember someone saying something about that. I think in another of your threads. I don't want it to fail and wipe out your clutch.

Thanks for info, i need to check it! And also thanks for those heel clicker weights 8)

Finally it's getting cold and some snow. Other sled fixed and almost ready to ride 8)
325x38x44 track and relocated chassis. Fixed skis on front and some fox float reservoirs on front.
Now engine is stock 700 with bender 4x4 pipe and stock mufler.
Made some new brackets for chassis and changed many rivets on frame, i used wyrth 6.4mm steel-steel rivets.
And some pics ofc

IMG_20191130_150044.jpg
IMG_20191130_150101.jpg

Next step is ride and build that other viper for lake rides.

One exhaust flange is leaking a little, but i think that i'm going to put some heat silicon.
If it's the donut you're talking about ..... I have cut up long strips of steel wool from a batt. Then I wrapped it around the donut. Finished it up by working RTV into the wool. Install it wet on clean surfaces and it will adhere.

Hi,

Finally started to do something special. Many hours of fabrication and designing. But now it is fitted! I'll post some more pics when it is ready and also some story of my riding trip when chassis rear brackets broke down...
Bumb steering problem is now solved, next weekend going to test how it works. That steering problem was pretty bad cause i used those long fox float and "stock" steering.
some picture of  bracket.jpg
rack steering mod.jpg

Quick pictute update, rak steering is awsome. It works nice�� Been riding and some little fixing also, shock mounts need to fix and chassic bolts need to replace, but it was possible to do on "field"IMG_20200316_125042_copy_648x1152.jpg
Snapchat-1552241931_copy_540x960.jpg
Snapchat-721752728_copy_540x960.jpg
Snapchat-1925187799_copy_540x960.jpg

IMG_4215_copy_1368x912.jpg
IMG_4345_copy_1368x912.jpg

Some riding pics with stock 700, everything works good. I was also riding with 780. It runs pretty good, but got some airleak somewhere. Need to check it later.

Awesome! The steering rack looks pretty cool, does the steering 'feel' the same with it (turn bars a certain amount and skis still turn the same amount as before)? Is that a motocross track in the photos?

Awesome! The steering rack looks pretty cool, does the steering 'feel' the same with it (turn bars a certain amount and skis still turn the same amount as before)? Is that a motocross track in the photos?

Steering feels almost same, skis won't turn as much as before mod. It is possible to modify those links and get it little faster and more angle, but i think that it is not nessessary. Stock viper skis turn a lot compared to other sleds. It is also a little lighter to turn compared to stock. I run pretty much ski pressure so it is possible to ride fast on bumby turns. I have some videos, but i need to make some edit on clips.

Actually that place is a local small skiing hill, they made some bumbs with machines�� It is closed pretty early, because covid...

I am not for sure on this, I believe the length of a tie rod or something w/ the steering parts are different lengths when comparing a standard travel(SX) to an extended travel(XTC?) front end.
Again ..... I'm not positive on this.
Just some food for thought.

I take it that there is a CC difference in the domes? Or shaped differently as opposed to stock heads?

Those head inserts are 19cc, may work with ported cylinders, but for stock 22-23cc is pretty good i think. I may build another 780 later, it depends where i can get cylinders plated for good price. Not possible here in Finland.

Nice photos. Were you able to solve your issue about the airleak?
I found that one carbs floods. need yo figure out that later.

Also started to do maintenance for my 700, i made a lot of new bushed to chassis with lathe from POM C bar. More suspension mods also coming to stock pro action. Stay tuned.

Here is some clip from last winter, it was test ride for rack steering mod. 1000km in five riding days, some chassis bolts were broken when hit big bumb about 120km/h and after that there was another big bumb and front center bottoms really hard. But no problems with steering.
In the end of video is some better footage on better weather, there you can see those trails much better. Tries to fly all the time.

Last edited:
Some update after years, fixed skid a little and adjusted transfer rods over normal limits on bench. Changed skid rear axle, because original was bend.

Front end updates:
Used more polaris parts on front end, now it is stock wide with some heavy duty control arms. Steering arms changed because some ball joints were so badly stuck so i had to change whole part, that is why there is yellow part.

Found some "aftermarket" shock bracket and that was reason i started to do some mods.
I may buy some new trailing arms, because both are little bend and i have lowered those mounts days ago, which was not good idea.
Shocks need to be shortened to 17,5".
Steering works, but bumb steering works as long as arms are straight, when go over limit (bottoming) then there is bumb steering. That is reason why i should fix those trailing arm shock mounting to stock.

Also changed all bearings on both shafts, those were pretty worn.
Some pics because those are nice.

Picture of those shock brackets is not mine.
Take it from seller to show u.
Also ordered some goodies, will update that later when i receive them, vintage sled time is not over yet!

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_164826_copy_600x800_1.jpg
    IMG_20231230_164826_copy_600x800_1.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231229_223132_copy_800x660.jpg
    IMG_20231229_223132_copy_800x660.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231210_162649_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG_20231210_162649_copy_600x800.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2023-12-12-21-28-25-37_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6_copy_600x606.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-12-21-28-25-37_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6_copy_600x606.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 4

Back