1993 exciter sx cylinder jug

Bach420

Hi , I have an exciter sx model. Problem is I blew a piston and scarred my cylinder wall. Question is can a person use jugs from different models like the ex ? They are way easier to find and way cheaper !!
Q

Hi , I have an exciter sx model. Problem is I blew a piston and scarred my cylinder wall. Question is can a person use jugs from different models like the ex ? They are way easier to find and way cheaper !!
Q

If you change them both, should not a be problem. Have you did any kind of part number cross reference in the Yamaha Online Fiche?

No I havnt. Will that let me know if they are compatible with my engine? Numbers on my jug are 82a00 y1. Right side

If you can get a pair of them you would be sure that the ports and everything would match if they had been slightly modified. My understanding of the Exciter is the motors were all the same and the updates had been carburetoration or external items like ignition or pipe tuning.

The sx had different porting. Just have your cylinder replated.

on a 1 year motor..Yamaha would never do that today. So only the SX Exciter motor has porting all the other exciter motors in the 93 line up are old school. I know only the SX had flat slide carbs like the 94 v-max's.

Heads, cylinders, pistons, carbs, intake rubbers both carb and air box side, carbs, oil pump cable, and many other parts were different.

Can be done but not just as easy as swapping to Exciter II cylinders and calling it good if you want it to run like a stock EX II.

I know a guy who tried, he did get it to run but had so many issues he didn't expect he had his bad SX cylinders redone, put it back to original and all was good.

opsled

Heads, cylinders, pistons, carbs, intake rubbers both carb and air box side, carbs, oil pump cable, and many other parts were different.

Can be done but not just as easy as swapping to Exciter II cylinders and calling it good if you want it to run like a stock EX II.

I know a guy who tried, he did get it to run but had so many issues he didn't expect he had his bad SX cylinders redone, put it back to original and all was good.

opsled

Great info, thanks so much for clarifying. I was so off based.. I will refrain from posting..Never thought Yamaha would make a one off like that. They sure wont do that in today's standards.

Thanx for the input opsled. All things i was worried about ! I knew the porting and carbs were different . Was really hoping the swap could be done though ... sad face!!

Any idea how far over a guy could go with boring? You know before you had to redo jetting etc.... ?

there are 3 styles of exciter cylinders the original 87-90 which are cast lined the 91-93 std ex which are chrome bore and then the 93 SX cylinders or should i say top end which is all too itself what ever route you go make sure you have matched cylinders another thing with the 93 SX is the ignition and "Y" pipe are also only to the sled aside from what OPSLED mentioned .... i do have a very nice SX top end that i would be willing to sell with pistons

Back