1980 ET340 new belt flipping around on clutches?

JohnnyG383

Crazy thing we just got the 1980 ET340 going we picked up and new belt on it sled had been sitting a long time we rebuilt the rear suspension and went through it. We just got a little snow last night and today went for a rip up the road and seems like when your full throttle and you let off your hear a noise under the hood and the belt flipped around on the clutches. This happened twice but if you run it easy it does not happen. Any idea guys this sled is way too cool to be babying around it rips! We put a Parts Unlimited 46-0293 belt on it. Add said it fits this model.

The motor mounts did not seem to be broken that was the first thing we checked tired to move the engine be hand back and forth and seemed good

Secondary clutch sticking and not closing quick enough. Clean both clutches , make sure they move freely and check alignment/center to center.

opsled

Secondary clutch sticking and not closing quick enough. Clean both clutches , make sure they move freely and check alignment/center to center.

opsled[/QUOTE

Thank you opsled I was thinking the same thing I have to figure out how to get the secondary clutch off and clean it up.

you may want to try (after cleaning them ) with a new (never flipped ) belt... belts tend to break some of the internal cords
as they get up on their edge... makes one side actually longer than the other ... easier to see on a narrower belt as you
hold it in the air ,, it will lean the top to one direction and hang slightly crooked to one side .
Also why we are not supposed to pry them on.
I usually tell my lawn tractor customers that it only flipped once ,the rest don't count once cords are broken.
Ron

This has only happened to me if motor mounts were loose or broken or if clutches were not aligned properly.
I suppose poorly maintained or worn out clutches could also be factor.

Make sure you check/replace the plastic ramp shoes on the secondary while you have it apart. Even if they do not look worn they sometimes crack and start to fall apart when they get old.

Hi guys thank you for all the input! I rebuilt the secondary clutch new ramps and new spring and belt from yamaha cleaned everything up and it's not flipping anymore.

Back