Chain Case Question 1978 Exciter 440

02ViperMody44

Life Member
Just picked up a new toy... 1978 Exciter 440... for short little rides with the guys. Going through the sled at the moment, not that I have any actual snow to ride on. Looking at the Chain Case, there is a hole above what I am assuming is a "sight hose"-??, and was wondering if it is supposed to have something there or is it some kind of open breather? How do you check the level on these older sleds, and is there a drain on these older models. Not to saavy with this era of sleds, so will be asking questions. Am I in the right forum for this year of sled? If not please direct me. Currently riding a '13 Apex XTX, after coming off of an '02 Viper, so this looks like some fun....

Attachments

• Chain Case 1978 440 Exciter.jpg
    Chain Case 1978 440 Exciter.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 5

not that is a breather hole and it is supposed to be open oil lever is checked by a phillips screw on the bottom back side of the case that is be reached through the foot well

OK, thanks for the replies. I shall leave the breather open. Just located a manual for it, so figured out where to check the level as well. Thanks

Back