New/old srx

1stgensrx

Got my hands on a very nice 1980 srx 440. Was restored and rebuilt about 8 years ago but has run only 20kms since so i know iv got my work cut out for me.
Q1.:i can get my hands on a set of 38mm flatslides off a 97 vmax 600. Was wondering if anyone has used them and how did they fair and what dix u have to do to them to get em to perform properly
Q2: need to update tbe track so what size is the original and how deep of a lug can i go before problems?

flats are a waist put a set of 38 rounds on it and call it good .... track is a 116'' that the deepest you will find is a 3/4'' track from camoplast

First off from all my years of sleddin.....some 40 years now....iv always been under the impression that flat slides are the bees knees. Why do u say not to bother? 116" wow very short. Hhhmmm. So a 3/4 is as big as i can go or is that simply all thats available? If i were to swap in say a phazer skid thats 121 how deep of a lug will the stock drivers / tunnel allow?

You may be able to find a set of flatslides that would work well on that sled but 38 rounds have been done a lot and the info is out there. They really do make it a more dependable, better performing sled. As far as the track, you can run a 1" track if you can find one. As for switching out the track and skid for one from a Phazer, now you are talking about making it into a whole other sled. You wouldn't be happy and it would ruin a nice restored SRX. You would be better off buying a nice Phazer for $500 or so.

This sled is going to be a drag racer so i need a track that has at least a 1" lug as well as being able to stud it. I saw a vid on utube . A guy had built a 79 srx440 into a habs beer replica racer and thats where i got the idea for the phazer skid and 121 track. Looks like its a rocket with stock pipes 38 rounds and polaris clutches. And the skid doesnt look stupid like i thought it would.

well if you want to stud it the longest stud with good tunnel protectors you can run is 1'' and they will still hit and tear up the tunnel in the front. there is just not enough room we run the stock 1/2'' tracks with .875'' studs

So where do u get the stock tracks from? The only track iv found is from camso and its a .75"lug. And see round here we drag race on hard pack snow not ice so most of the time stufs dont help. Once they burry their way down to ice they just move the whole track down 50 or so feet.
So i guess the question begs an answer is how big of a lug can i go without studs? 1"?

Last edited:

Back