96 Vmax XT issue

NHTodd

Hello everyone this is my first post here just found this forum tonight. Took my sled out for a rip and when I pinned it and turned right it seemed like the track would skip. Seemed like it was coming from under my right boot. This is the only way I know to describe this as I'm also new to snowmobiling as well. Gladly give any info I can just ask away.
Thanks in advance,
Todd W

I would first look at track tension and make sure it is correct. Check drive bearings on right and left sides. Make sure drive cogs/ drivers are intact.

I would first look at track tension and make sure it is correct. Check drive bearings on right and left sides. Make sure drive cogs/ drivers are intact.

Thank you will do. Now I have someplace to start. Did notice the right edge of the track has white threads sticking out on it. Figured I was going to have to replace the track this summer as it seemed a little beat when I got it but hopefully its that simple to fix the problem.

Hey, Fellow granite stater. check your belt also. hour glassed belts can feel that way too

if it is just threads coming out of the side of the track, you can just burn them off with a bbq lighter or torch. do it all the time to my sleds. helps to legnthen the track life.

check the speedo bearing 1st as when it fails it can cause the track to skip as well as the drivers being worn out. if it is good, you just need to re tension the track most likely as it probably stretched.

Alrighty guys and gals found another bigger issue. Went and got me some new ski skins and 6" carbides. Skis were pretty beat to begin with as nobody had put ski skins on in who knows how long and the carbides were literally just flat metal. So finally all my parts came in so pulled one ski off and nothing is even close to lining up as far as mounting holes only thing I can think of here is somebody switched skis at some point in the past. Anybody know where to find cheap replacement Skis? I just don't have the money for a set of new C&A pros. Any ideas are highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Todd W

I believe you have to drill a new hole or something, super1c has some on an xt so maybe you could ask him or there might be a thread I couldn't find. Searching from my phone isn't the best...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

on a pogo front end, you need to use sr viper/sidewinder skis or the aluminum saddle ones from an rx1 or viper.

on old steel skis, could you just drill some new holes for the carbides to mount into?

I would just drill out the old steel ones bit they are trashed literally have worn thru on the ridges and they're just junk would rather replace them with some plastic ones or a good pair of steel ones just so I know what I'm working with. This is my first time at all this just got the sled like 3 months ago and it's my first sled.

ok. try for a set of tuner ski take offs from a viper or sidewinder as lots of ppl took them off to run aftermarket skis on those sleds. try a wanted ad in the ty 4 stroke side.

Back