Studs on 2004 Viper S

duwem

Just bought an 04 Viper S. Guy had (thankfully) just studded the track then didn't drive it much. There are a few nicks in the rear heat exchanger, none in the front.

I have read guys drop the tooth count on the front track drivers and regear the chaincase. Not looking to invest that much at this point.

I talked to the guy at Hauck as I read on here that he used to make heat exchanger protectors. He no longer does and said you can only run slightly over 1" studs on a Viper. Anyone running his guards? He made it sound like they wouldn't be that hard to make.

I'm not sure how long the studs on mine are. I may pull one and look for a part number and measure.

Track has 4000 miles on it so someday may be time to buy a new one which at that time a guy could get a 1" track and stud it and maybe be fine?

Thoughts? Leaning on pulling the current studs to prevent further contact with heat exchangers.

Although season is likely over here so will have all year to do something.

I just put in ice attack 1" pre studded track. Very nice on the trail and pretty good on the ice and road. Definitely not as good as studs but I don't think I have to worry about pick throw.
93dbded3f062a86315ae0f24789273ea.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good long term plan but for now not looking to put a $500 track in the sled

I was working on sled today and decided to look at the front heat exchanger and it has marks too. Studs are coming out. Bummer!!

Its a Stock 2004 S Track, which was called 1 1/4" I believe. Non S got a 1" I believe. I think heat exchanger protectors were standard on non s but due to the longer lugs they took them off the S.

I will measure the studs that were in there.

gotta change to 8 tooth driver or 1 inch track. I ran studs when I bought my sled and made some nice grooves in the exchanger before I pulled the.

Track lug height is just shy of 1.25" (has 4000 miles). Stud length not including the thickness of the head is 1.375"

Last edited:

Back