02 viper locked up

yamanut

Hey guys my 02 viper er locked up the other day on the trail. I pulled the pipe and found lots of aluminum. All of it pounded flat. So I pulled the head. This thing didn't burn down. Something broke downstairs. The top of the piston looks a bit beat up but no burned edges . This thing was running perfect. I think the mileage is at around 5800. So here is my question. I have a line on a 02 viper engine with 5500 miles on it. Considering that my 02 just died at 5800 I haven't jumped on it yet. Is this a freak thing or is it somewhat common? Being I haven't pulled the jug I'm unsure of the condition my crank rod and case but after looking at the cylinder I'm sure the crank is what's stuck. So do I go the easy road and grab this other 02 engine that is at the very point the one I have died? I'm thinking it should be fine. But I'm a little gun shy of it. Thanks for your thoughts Gary.

I lost my crank at 17000 kms, and I'm pretty sure it was premature due to overheating that I later found out was a partially failing thermostat. I know someone that rode very hard and got about 21000 kms. I would jump on that other motor.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

it was a known problem on the 02 vipers for connecting rod bearings to fail. happened to my brothers sled and his was jetted and set ritch with no mods to engine at about that milage. i would get the other engine and tear it down to throw a set of rings into it and check the connecting rod bearings before installing it in the sled. the wrist pin bearing failed on my brothers 1st but the crank end can be checked without splitting lower cases.

Well it's been a long summer and I've spent a few hours reading threads on here. In my search for viper/SRX crank knowledge I learned I'm most like having a issue with my 2000 SRX crank also as last year it picked up a low speed vibration and is burning a lot of oil all at once.I checked out the mentioned viper engine and wasn't impressed and I ended up picking up a 01 SRX engine and pipes with 3400 miles on it. So I've been really excited about doing the SRX engine and pipes setup but now thinking about rebuilding the viper crank and adding the SRX heat exchanger in the rear of the viper which was planned anyway. So what way to go guys? SRX conversion or revisit the other viper engine? Also I can't get any of the sticky subjects to open regarding SRX and viper parts interchange. It sends me to the top of the SRX/viper page. Thanks guys.

It would be easier to just use the viper engine. Use the opticool head gasket and add the rear heat exchanger. 00-02 srx used the same crankcase and stator as the viper, cranks were different, viper crank is lighter than the srx. You'd actually have more HP with the viper engine over the srx engine if you use triple pipes with the viper engine.

brother ran a srx crank in his for a year and holy heck was that thing a torque monster. would not wheelie with viper crank but almost could not keep skis down with srx crank. no changes in anything other than crank.

Back