Boyeson Rate Cage or V-Force 3 for SXViper Mountain?

Bronc_twister

Which fits and works better and last longer? Are they worth it? I've heard conflicting information on whether or not the Viper engine actually needs the spacers or not. It seems agreed across the board that the red head triples needed them. Ive heard that the spacer help clear up the lean bog from idle to full throttle and with starting and such but then also no, the red heads needed them and that the Viper doesn't get the same benefit really and they aren't needed. That changing the air jet in the bell of each carb from a stock "1.0" to a ".08" or ".07" clears that up.

Last edited:

My Mountain Viper isn't totally stock. Fresh top end, Bender triple pipes, Optikool head gasket, gutted air box, 4 Flo-Rites in the dash, all underhood air to airbox blocked off, fuel adjusting screws, and besides other less signifigant mods it has an 05 Viper skid (Pro-Mountain) and 151x2 track.

I put the vforce3 cages on my redhead triple last season, got a good deal on them, my current reeds were still fine...I just wanted them. I could tell a slight difference in throttle response right off idle the first time I started it up. I have triple pipes, spacers, tempa-flow, flow rites etc... I think...The consensus is the stock reeds and cages last the longest. Can either engine benefit from either boysen or v force setups...sure; the question is how much? For me -- throttle response is slightly crisper. (I really only noticed it the first time I started the sled with them- its that slight) Would I pay full price for them>>no

Ive put plenty of boysen reeds in bikes and jet skis, four wheelers etc when my stock reeds needed changing and only positive results. Ive always herd the rage cages require more jetting changes with the bikes than the vforce.

If its one of those things you feel you want to try than do it! Report back

The general consensus is that the Red Head needs the spacers but not the Black head engine; not sure on the Blue Head. If I do something in this department it will just be aftermarket reeds, not spacers.

I have always used Carbontech reeds in my viper with good results. LT370 I believe. I also have reed spacers. However I would add a word of caution when using reed spacers. I found that on my engine the reed cages had opened up slightly. Wider than spec. This allowed the reed cages to touch the intake runner. Very slight where on cages. However any metal shavings caused by this enter directly into the engine. This probably would not have been a problem without the reed spacers. But the reed spacers pull the reeds back , reducing the clearance between intake runner and reed cages. That being said, I still run the reed spacers, just something I inspect more often.

Try the reeds only, I think you will like them. And check your reed cages ,and make sure they are in spec.
I believe there is a notch you can cut into the reed cages as well. That is something I have not attempted. I believe they recommended stainless steel reed cages for this. I think there is an article in the tech area on this.

Back