Aftermarket reeds and/or spacers for the SXViper... are they needed and/or woth it?

Bronc_twister

I posted this on the SRX/Viper page as well so apologies there but Ive been getting some conflicting information on this. Some guys say that all the Yamaha triples need the spacers and that they help with not only throttle response but with a low end/ just off idle/full throttle lean bog. A well known and respected Yamaha guy told me that only the Red Head triple really benefitted and needed the spacers and that it wasn't an issue on the Viper black head engine (I can't remember for sure on the SRX engine). He also told me that some aftermarket reeds can help a bit in throttle response but that the low end/from idle to full throttle lean bog is cured.

In my opinion the carbontech reeds are better. You will notice improvement in bottom end performance. Also fairly inexpensive. Reed spacers are a toss up. If in question you could always add them later on. I have run this set up on both my vipers for years with spacers.
In my experience stock reeds start failing after approximately 3500 to 4500 miles. But they do what they were intended to up to that point.

I put the reed spacers on my 1999 Vmax SX 600 Red Head. It definitely helped clear up the low throttle range "burble" that these have. I thought it might be placebo effect so I took them out and the burble returned. So they do help. I don't really think you gain any measurable power.

Back