problem after installing new track

shaggyzr2

I put a new track on my SRX this year, camoplast 9878 trailsport. I'm having two problems, first is noise, at lower speeds it's noisy, almost sounds like going over speed bumps, the second problem I'm having is the sled does not coast as good as it used to when you let off the throttle, almost feels like when you get your slides hot, but the slides are not getting hot, or almost like too much ski pressure. So...I put on a new track, has about 300 miles on it now, slides are new, I replaced the skid, the new skid is a stock SRX skid with only 400 miles on it, I also changed the skis, I had the GYT wide skis on it, went back to the narrow srx skis. When I run the sled on the stand it spins easy, like there is no drag, spins smooth, the idle will even turn the track and my idle is set where it should be. Do new tracks need to be broken in? has anyone every had a problem like this?

new tracks will stretch over time and as they stretch they will loosen up. usually takes me 6-700 miles to need adjustment.

They certainly do stretch once they're "broken in" sorta speak. I was surprised how much my track kept loosening up threw out my first season with it.

Did you verify driver alignment with the new track. I like to throw the driveshaft in the new track before installing and make sure the drivers are centered and there are no window issues if extroverts are used.

What track was on it before?

Not using extrovert drivers. I replaced the shaft with a brand new one, used my old stock drivers, pressed the drivers on the new shaft and used measurements listed in the repair manual so that should all be good. I had a camoplast energy on it before. I put the sled on the stand, removed the belt and spun it over by hand, it rolled very smooth, nothing seems to be dragging. I'm thinking too much ski pressure, that's what it feels like anyways.

Are you running heat exchanger protectors? I just put my protectors back in and put my 1" hacksaw in and had same condition, on the stand track would spin easily and with your hand when the sled was off. Well I tried some speed runs this weekend and it pulled good to 110mph then it felt like the brakes were on so let off and the sled just started slowing down like crazy. Pulled off to the side to check sliders, they were cool, flipped sled on its side to look at protectors and the 1" is rubbing on the stock front protectors by 1/8" to 3/16" when its not moving. Compared to 2 other sled that have the same setup, their track have most of the lug missing where it was rubbing against the protector. My guess is the track balloons so much when moving that its rubbing so hard it feels like the brakes are applied.

What carbides are you running on the skis? I had a pair of dullie carbides on my sled at one time. they caused it to feel like that. I changed them out and all was back to normal.

Give it some time . It should loosen up. Could also be a bearing in the wheels. Even though it only has 400 on the suspension the bearings could be getting hot and causing the drag. Also could be your upper bearings on secondary shaft.

I'm just running a standard carbide. I checked all the idler wheel bearings, and the jackshaft bearings seem fine. I noticed the rear shock was a lot stiffer than the one in my old skid, I might try and loosen that up, maybe tighten up the front shock a bit and let down the straps, maybe that will give me less ski pressure. It really isn't horrible, it just doesn't coast as well as it did last year.

Back