Heelclicker clutching help, Mr Viper or someone

norwegian

I have a 97 venture 500 (LC) and I am experimenting with Heelclickers on that thing
The set up is:

5,2 gram at heel
0 in center
5 gram in tip

White 4 stroke spring

Secondary
Yamaha green spring wrapped @60 and a straight 43 helix.

The problem is that about 3/4 throttle it gets like 7500 rpm but at full it only gets 7400-7450. How do I correct this?

Last edited:

I can try less tip weight but won't that make the midrange overrev worse? The red spring is too stiff for the 500 engine to compress I think.

the heel clickers we use in a sx venture have no screws in the middle at all. taking tip weight out should let hit the peak rpm of 7800 on that sled. i had an sxr500 that i clutched and i did have to fine tune it a bit to run right.

Tightened the green spring to 80 deg, it won't fall flat on it's face on top end, but it overrevs to 8050 rpm. I guess I will have to screw on the nuts on the other side of the weight/bolt.

looks to me from your description, its barely too steep of a finish angle and its actually trying to backshift slightly forcing the primary to fight the sec. clutch. I think my first move would be to try a helix with a 41 finish angle in it and go back to your previous sec spring twist, retest.

tightening up the sec spring will raise rpm but it will make the efficiency drop down and take topend mph away.

Didn't help any with a 41 deg spring. Still loses top end rpm, unless wrapped @ 80 deg.

then go 39, it should climb rpm with shallower finish .

or add a shim to primary spring, white is like 300, you might need 310 or so. red is 360, gray is 330.

It will overrev too much with a 39. Maybe I'm using the wrong secondary spring? Is the green too stiff? Because 39 and green @60 will overrev, but if I remember correctly, not cause the rpm drop on top end.
41 or 43 will cause it to lose rpm unless wrapped really tight. Can you add a shim to the primary spring? I think I read in the instructions that you shouldn't at least with a red or gray.

then add a washer to the tip if overev on top with 39 if it doesn't fall back that tells me the 43 is too steep on the finish angle. nothing wrong with green but you might try a red dot sec. spring and see if it runs better. I use the red in the vipers, works well and gives very nice topend. you will have to go with more torsion on a weaker spring but it will yield better topend.

once you find your paramaeters you can play with a multi angle like a 43/39, 44/40,etc. should give you the best of both worlds.

Thanks so far. I tried with a 44/38 but it really really hated that set up, rpm was all over the place, like if my mains were clogged. I think I'm going to try a washer to the tip, maybe even a small nut, it gets almost 8100 rpm now.

I'd like to run the green spring, because I might use this sled for some towing also. It also seems to feel much stronger with the green spring. The power curve of this sled reminds me more of a turbo machine than a regular one. What if I buy a 40/43 reverse cam helix? Looks like I need to have a steep angle to keep revs down on top end. It's like a 20-25 hp sled most of the low range, and then it tops out at 87 hp.

Last edited:
So maybe this will work then?
Primary: white hc spring. Max tip whic should be around 7grams with a nut on the other side. 4,2 gr heel, maybe even 5 gr, because it loads the entire range.
Secondary: Green@60 deg. 39 deg helix. The less wrap should keep the revs down some also. This will be my last set up in the 17/18 season.

Last edited:
Will it ruin my shift curve if I try some weight at the center?

no, it will just make it not as responsive, it might like the weight split thru out the weight and then run the straight angle helix if that's what it likes.

Update 9 c or 48f at the place I was going to, no more tuning this season. I am hoping that the engagement shim and less helix angle will make it get rid of the rpm dip on top and to get proper wot rpm also.

What happens if I run a stiffer HC (gray) primary spring? Will I be able to get away with a steeper (41 deg) angle then?
What happens if I run a Hauck or yamaha spring with less end force? Does the required helix angle go down too?

I'm at withs end wit this.

This is my set up: 1,1 gram at the heel, 6,5 gram the center an 0 at the tip
With this set up the sled revs all the way to 8150-8200, then settles to about 8000 after a while.

My other set up is like the previous but with 3,3 gram at the tip
With this set up the sled revs to about 8000, and at about 68 mph the revs fall to about 7500 and don't go up again.

Both set ups with 39 dg helix at 70 deg, green spring and white heelcicker spring in primary.

Tried SMALLER rollers, and the RPM went UP. Shouldn't it be opposite? (14 instead of 15,6mm)
So now the set up is
1,1 gram at the heel
7,8 g in the middle
5,5 gr in tip.
White hc spring in primary
39 deg helix at 70 deg with a green spring.
It revs to 8000 pretty fast, and at top end it drops down to about 7750-7800.
How do I fix the initial overrev?

Doesn’t the heel clicker instructions say not to run that size roller ?
Just going off memory here, but check out the instructions.

Back