Ski Opinions for '99 SX600

GudeMN

Hi all.....I'm looking ahead to next year and plan on changing some parts to optimize this sled for where I ride.

I do all of my riding in east/central MN and western WI. 90% on trail riding. But, there are plenty of times where I have to ditch ride, cross an untouched lake/river, or take a powder filled "goat trail" to link up with the state trails.

The sled I'm going to focus on this summer is my stock SX600, 121in skid. It currently has the original 3/4in lug track on it. I'm thinking of going to an Ice Cobra or something similar in 1.5in -ish to get better performance on accelerating and cornering. Will also help keep me going when going slow in the fluff.

The other big change I want to make are the skis. There isn't much flotation on those OEM skis and I didn't have much confidence in the ditches or in powder when I had to venture cross country. Going straight is OK but as soon as I wanted to turn those skis wanted to dive in the snow and take the nose with it. I was stuck enough and reluctant to go off trail to the point I want to improve performance there if I can.
I can get SLP skis at a decent cost and wanted some opinions.
The group I ride with is aggressive on the trail so I wouldn't want to give up too much trail performance just to be able to handled the little time in the powder I face. So where is the happy medium?

Mohawks are marketed as a crossover ski....good in the powder and on the trail. True, I am nowhere near what I would call a powder rider but do have to deal with it as I mentioned earlier. Does anyone have experience with this ski on the trail?

SLT skis are marketed as a trail ski but how do they handle deeper powder if needed? Are there other skis I should think about?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Last edited:

I have no experience with anything out side of my C&A skis I have the RZ currently. I like them over the stock skis. They are wider than stock, 6” if memory serves me correctly. So fairly good off trail and great on trail. I picked mine up new on eBay. Best price I could find.
This is on my 04 viper s.
You may want to take a look at track USA for a track and possibly an extension kit to help in that deeper snow.

Back