Help phazer coil test

96phazerowner

New guy to the forum, hope i am in the right place to post this.
I have a 96 Phazer with a spark issue. It only runs on 1 cylinder, the left side when sitting on the sled. I put 2 new plugs in and no change.
If i pull the caps off and put the left cap on the right, it will run on the right cylinder. If i take the plugs out and pull, they both spark but I think the right is weak as i can hold it and feel a zap but not as sharp as i think it should be.
I would like help in how to test my coil pack.
I have a digital multi meter but I don't know how to use it, or what to look for.
The pack its self looks good, no cracks, and clean. The wires look good no wear throughs, burnt or thin spots.
The orange power wire going into the bottom of the coil looks good, clean and no exposed or frayed spots.
plug caps look good no cracks and seat tight on the plug when installed.
So how do i test the coil and what am i looking for?
If there is anybody that can walk me through a step by step like I am an idiot that would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

Brent

The caps and plug wires look good. The right side wire is too short to reach the left side spark plug. The plug wires that come out of the coil appear to be sealed as a unit. they don't turn and I don't think i can pull them from the coil itself

I have swapped the coil an wire to a different cylinder and see if the problem follows...

The coil has two wires that come out of it, that go to the spark plugs. The wire on the left side when sitting on the machine works fine. spark is strong engine runs on that cylinder.
The other wire produces a spark, but weak. I can hold it and the zap is not violent. When i take the wire and cap from the left side and put it on the right plug the engine runs on the right cylinder fine. the wire from the right side is too short to reach the left side plug. I would like to test the coil.

Sounds like it's an entirely different coil than my vmax and mountain Max have. Mine are all singles per cylinder. Sorry I haven't done anything else with coils.

No problem.
It isn't as easy as I thought it would be to get any info for this problem. The easy fix, is just replace the coil... but I would rather know before I spend the bucks. Yamaha wants 92.00 + tax for a OE replacement. 40.00 for an aftermarket from another place. Even a link to the info would work for me.

You just need a digital ohm meter to check the coil. For the early 90's Phazers the plug caps should read 5kohms +/-10%, the primary coil (orange wire to ground) should read 0.2 ohms +/- 20% and the secondary coil (the two plug wire connections) should read 4.9 ohms +/- 20%. The plug wires normally unscrew from the caps and the coil. If the plug wires on yours do not unscrew from the coil check with a Yamaha dealer to make sure you have the right one.

BTW the two plugs fire at the same time so if one plug is firing properly chances are your coil is fine and the problem is in your wires or caps. You cannot tell whether they are any good just by looking at them.

allright I tried to use my digital milti meter.
Orange wire to ground reads .5ohms when the dial is turned to 200
The plug caps both read 4.9 when the dial is turned to 200K
The wires don't come out of the coil, Tried turning them, pulling them.. nope
if I pierce the wires at the coil with 1 probe and the end where the cap screws on i get .4 when the dial on the tester is at 200
When i probe the end of the wires where the caps screw on and any where on the coil either ground, i get nothing with the dial on any setting
orange wire to plug wires.. nothing cant even get a beep
Did i do this properly? my Phazer is a 96, does that make a difference?

If you caps are good and you are getting spark wherever you move the good wire then you probably have a bad plug wire. If the wires are part of the coil your best option would be to try a different coil that you know works.

To measure the secondary coil you need to put one lead in the end of each plug wire where the caps screw on. You should get a reading of about 4.9kohms. For a proper reading on the primary you need a lower scale to read down to 0.2ohms.

I do not have a service manual for a 96 so the readings could be different than the early 90's. Do you have another Yamaha sled that you could borrow a coil from or do you know someone who does.

Back