Mountain max 700 fuel consumption

Andris

Hello. I am new to this forum and new with snowmobiles. I have 97 mountain max 700 with slp pipes (was on snowmobile when bought it) carburators are jetted 150 mains 45 pilot, air screw 1.5 turn out. And I have very bad fuel consumption about 50 liters for 60 km.sled runs fine does not bog. middle cylinder spark shows good combustion( brown dry spark plug) outside ones little richer. no gas leaks. engine has 6700km. I would like to keep this sled an willing to put some money into it to make it run better. I assume that this is not normal consumption. what can I do to fix it. engine does not rev over 8000 rpm.
Thanks.

Hello. I am new to this forum and new with snowmobiles. I have 97 mountain max 700 with slp pipes (was on snowmobile when bought it) carburators are jetted 150 mains 45 pilot, air screw 1.5 turn out. And I have very bad fuel consumption about 50 liters for 60 km.sled runs fine does not bog. middle cylinder spark shows good combustion( brown dry spark plug) outside ones little richer. no gas leaks. engine has 6700km. I would like to keep this sled an willing to put some money into it to make it run better. I assume that this is not normal consumption. what can I do to fix it. engine does not rev over 8000 rpm.
Thanks.

They are pigs with pipes.. thats just the nature of the beast but sounds like the sled clutching is loaded to heavy. What does it have for clutching?

hello. I really do not now where to look to be able say what for clutching. primary clutch spring is black with one pink or purple spot. do i have to take it apart to be able say what weight it has.on secondary clutch somebody wrote arctic cat. sled has 146'' track. I am thinking to bring it back to stock modification. I am at 1800' elevation. would you be able to tell me what I need for clutcing for stock engine with 146'' track.
Thanks

First you would need to clean and verify that your clutches have no worn parts and good operating condition. (Buy a good quality clutch puller ). At the same time you could verify what weights you have in there. Also note what secondary spring you have and at what twist is it set too. After that if everything checks out the easiest way to bring up your Rpms would be to add a stronger spring or add shims to your existing spring in your primary clutch. You can also raise your rpm's by changing or modifying your weights to have less total tip weight. More primary spring tension or lighter weights will give you simular results by "unloading" the engine a bit and letting it build more rpms. As fare as what rpms you need to run, I have no experience with triple pipes so you really need to know what is your target rpms range for those specific pipes and go from there.

Last edited:
hello. My primary clutch spring has single pink spot, weights are 8ca 01. I found on spl triple pipe home page that their recomendet setting is white silver white spring with stock 8ch-00 weights and green standard spring for secondary clutch.I have black spring in secondary clutch.It should be running up to 8500rpm.that is for 97 vx700sx. 97 Mountain max have different gearing.will w-s-w spring allow it rev higher with 8ca weights( ones I have in it already?
Thanks.

Back