Very odd issue with my 2001 SRX, sounds like ignition is cut right after starting it.

EVOVII_SWE

I have a very strange issue with my 2001 SRX, every time I start it it sounds as if the ignition is cut for a split second and then it either stalls or fires right back up again. If it does fire up again it runs perfectly fine and no issues what so ever as far as I can tell. Cold starts are the worst as it almost stalls every time and I have to do several start attempts before I get it to continue running. When it's warm I can usually just give it some gas and rev it up enough so the short cut in ignition passes without the revs falling as low that it stalls.

Found this on here:

Problem: Some units may experience either of the two symptoms:
1. When the headlight switch is in the low beam position, the
engine will start but then quickly shut off. The engine will not
stay running unless the headlight switch is put in the high
beam position when starting.

2. The engine will momentarily drop rpm and sometimes shut off
once during the first start up. When restarted, the symptom
is gone, and the unit will start and run normally.

Cause: When the Load Control Relay engages at 700 rpm, it can cause a
momentary loss of spark due to low ignition system voltage.

Remedy: If either symptom presents itself, replace the headlight relay with
the Headlight Relay Kit designed to reduce current draw during
start up.

Sounds very similar to my problem but not spot on as it will continue running regardless if I leave it in low beam position, I have never tried starting it in high beam position as far as I can remember. Also even on the second starting attempt I get the same issue. The first symptom BTW isn't logical to me as the high beam position, if anything, should draw slightly more amps since those are 60W rather than 55W.

Anybody that knows what that Headlight Relay Kit 90891-50137-00 really does? I read somewhere that it just delays the head lights from turning on but wouldn't just disconnecting the bulbs temporary do the same thing for verification purpose then?

take both the white and blue relays off the sled, place on your heat vent in the house overnight to dry out the moisture, try it again and see if it fixes it.

Well, now when I went to my summer storage the symptom is gone. Last weekend when I was up north it was happening at every start. The major difference would be temperature as it's a bit warmer here. So I guess I'll have to continue this next season.

Back