Setup for SLP pipes on Viper

NorthernSX

I have a 2004 Viper S, has SLP pipes, and a Peak Performance head.

I have been on SLP's site and seen the clutching recommendations, but it seems a little too simplified for me.

They have everything bone stock, except they have you go from a 17.2 rivet in the outer, to a 13.9, concerns me that there wont be enough belt pressure.

Seems to me there must be something better than this that someone has found over the years !

I have read for days on here and have found nothing, Would love to hear from someone that has a great recipe for a Viper with SLP pipes!

Last edited:

Hi I have a sx viper s as well with SLP pipes and reed spacers, and a hole host of other items. Years ago I had a friend install the heel clicker in primary and secondary. It works great! However I have not worked on it myself until recently. Currently the primary is off and having the bushings replaced. When I pick it up I can look at it closer and give you an idea of how it is set up. At the time it was set up for 8800 to 9000 rpm. Secondary broke so I switched to Hauck roller. Now I am learning how and what the secondary needs.

I have a question for you. Did the peak performance head make any noticeable differences?? Performance or cooling? Are all three chambers the same size? And did you have to change your jetting up from what SLP recommended for the pipes?

I know what you mean about reading forever and at the end of the read the questions never get answered. Lol

Last edited:
I just bought the sled in Wisconsin, have not even seen it yet, it will be here in July when my buddy brings in back for me.
So, all parts are on it already.
Let me know how your clutches are setup when you have time, you running stock helix ? I would like to run like a 51/43 or something like that to shift a little quicker. Makes a big difference on my other sleds.

If you go with heel clickers I have a setup from Don, its trail ported by him but I bet take few grams out and would be close starting point.

Thanks for the pics, but I have no idea what i’m looking at ! Lol !
Never used heel clickers before.

Captnviper, can you post your setup ?

heelclicker reccomends 4.8 g in the heel 0 center and 3.3 tip for 9100 rpm red spring secondary stock depending on altitude 45 pilots work 47.5 pilots work and from 150-160 mains work i stayed safe fat for the rpms!!

Last edited:
rear heat exchanger and tourque limiter is a must mines an 02 with clickers slp and speedwerx head and all the other goodies i could find ,made enough power to rip all thhe rivets out of the clutch side bulkhead and throw the crank out of phaze all on 91 octane pump gas!!and stock vipers usually tap out about 8700 with what they have not even changeing rivets with the hp increase and the pipes allowing more rpm your stock setup probablly wont need to be touched and hit the 9100 you need i put srx gears in 23/38 helps in the snow alot!

Last edited:
Thanks smoke !
Where can I get a torque limiter ?
My Viper is a 2004, so it has a rear heat exchanger already.

Last edited:
post in the wanted section find a used bender or bender still has em or i believe you can use srx dog bone not 100% on that,you wont regret clickers on a piped viper..make sure if you do get clickers to install them properly and clutches are in good shape they will destroy clutches in a hurry but otherwise work well with the stock helix in the secondary,another good setup is stock clutch 51/43 or 49/45 and green on 70 wrap in the secondary!!especially on snow, gear to 23/38 srx gears your sled wont trench should spin the track 3x and gone i had the stock 22/37 in and i just dug a trench 1/4 mile that stopped after i geared up to srx you can even do 23/37 keep the stock bottom and use an srx top gear,itll let ya play in 6-8 nches of fluff and nasty on trail just my 2c ever line up the srx vs the viper ?
ive got 2 vipers 1 piped 1 stock a 2000 srx and a 97 sx700 ~smoke

Last edited:
Smoke, the SRX i won’t see till May 6th, bought it a state away, buddy bringing it back for me.
Viper same situation, it won’t be here till July 7th or so.
As far as racing them, my buddy has a stock 2000 SRX, shaved heads, vforce, clutched. i can pull him by about 3 to 4 sleds in a half mile run consistenly with my 700 SX ��

on my 03 viper i run cpr pipes with stock head v force 3 reeds i run heel clickers to there spec red primary green secondary spring with a 48-36 helix this is my sons sled i have an apex with a power commander and he runs all over me and honestly not to many late model sleds he has a problem with either

Back