High performance Piston brands? Piston modifications? Domes? Piston pins?

sxviper-s

1- what brand pistons are available for the sx viper Engine?
2-Wiseco, spi, Oem, and? Pros and cons of each?
3-who offers pistons with coatings?
4-What materials are available? And what performs best under high performance use? Cast VS forged? And?
5-Piston modifications? What’s been tried and what works? Polishing domes, will it decrease possibility of detonation?, holes, notching, increase hp?
6- piston rings? Brands? Types? Material?
7-long skirts or short?
8-piston pins, light weight, will a light weigh piston and pin increase hp noticeably? any failures with them? Do they require replacement more often? Will it change the RPM band?
9- is their a better bearing available?
10- is their a brand that offers better heat transfer?

Let me here your experiences and thoughts.

I like the way you think sir, because, I have thought about the same things.
Honestly, to me, a lot of what your talking about would be immeasurable gains.
I really think you should send the motor off, if you want measurable changes in power.
MrViper can port the motor, modify pistons, skirts, boost holes and coat the pistons among other things.
Really, the only thing you can do to make a real difference in my opinion.

I like the way you think sir, because, I have thought about the same things.
Honestly, to me, a lot of what your talking about would be immeasurable gains.
I really think you should send the motor off, if you want measurable changes in power.
MrViper can port the motor, modify pistons, skirts, boost holes and coat the pistons among other things.
Really, the only thing you can do to make a real difference in my opinion.

Thank you.
Anything is possible. However I like to know how and what I am going to do be for jumping in. I like to have what I feel is a solid plan in place before I do it. I know what I want , but still putting the ideas together.
Also for every good engine builder out there, their is ten bad ones. Or may be good but not great. I am looking for the great ones. Because I know I am just as capable as the good ones. I want someone better than I am with hands on experience. I like to think outside the box. I don’t care to follow,because your already behind before you started.

Truthfully I am surprised more of this information is not here. The real dirt on builds. Not just pipe it clutch it jet it and go. Oh take it to this guy and and he will do it. Story ends. Good or bad.
Knowledge is power and can prevent the bad. This does not mean I won’t make a mistake, but it is less likely.

I have not seen or read an article in here that gives a step by step build up of a 2 stroke engine with a certain reliable power level. Detailing everything thing that is done. So all of us die hard Yamaha 2 stroke fans can follow. We need this to keep the others guessing or behind us.

It is like it is a secret here. Once you put pipes, reeds, and maybe modified air box, or add a head. It all ends. Often guys put the parts on they are told to and you never hear the results. Once in a while you here about porting or a big bore kit. But very few results. I have yet to see any dyno results with actual power gains or losses. I am looking for the information that goes beyond this. The real dirt!

Mrviper is a great asset here and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. And will tell you like it is. I love reading his posts because of the passion he has for this, as well as how much I learn from his posts.

As far as having Mrviper do the work for me??? It’s probably more convenient for me to use my local builders. I have Jim at Dynotech 25 minuets from me as well as Justin Fuller ,Full power performance within 1 hours drive or better. And they work together often, But before I hire anyone. I want a good solid plan before me. I want to know what questions to ask and what to expect.
This is not a race sled , but I want to take advantage of every possible thing I can to improve it while keeping it a reliable trail sled that blows away the competition.

Whatever I do I will post what was done, and most likely have actual dyno results to show improvements and other information that may be helpful to the rest of the die hard Yamaha 2 stroke lovers out there.

Besides I have a mock z 1000 that always gets two sleds on me in the mid range. I just can not allow that. ��

I read something recently here about differences in srx pistons VS viper pistons. Something about the ring lands having a coating on one? Is there any advantage to them in a viper motor?

In my srx improver I run viper pistons because the are little lighter. Also run a wiesco wrist pin because they are lighter. Same with my srx piped viper that is a trail sled.

In my srx improver I run viper pistons because the are little lighter. Also run a wiesco wrist pin because they are lighter. Same with my srx piped viper that is a trail sled.

Do you only use the Wiseco wrist pin? I take it stock clips hold it in place? Or do you use Wiseco clips as well?

Anyone here tried windowing pistons? Or how about single ring pistons?

I notice Wiseco has pictures of pistons windowed and lightning done as well as coatings. However they do not offer anything like this off the shelf. Almost every picture you see with a Wiseco piston shows theses modifications. Yet nothing available.
The only differences being forged or cast. And Wiseco has a lighter piston pin.

Any reason why such a limited amount of technology put into these engines? What have you guys done differently?

Hi Mac. What can you tell me about these pistons? Stock Oem? Over sized/ B.B.? Stock modified? Aftermarket?

The skirt wear directly under the opening looks to be a bit excessive in the upper picture. Maybe due to the size of the opening? Not to mention it looks to have had a bit of a bobo. Lol. Can you say if you believe it produces any more power?

In the second picture it looks as if the skirt has held up much better, also wonder if it promotes better cylinder lubrocation? The second picture looks to have smaller holes, but one may argue that it may also have or create less friction. Hmm. Is this modification to promote better air charge?

What is the piston on the upper left with the coating? Was it purchased that way or something you did or had done?

Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Ps it concerns me you have so many pistons lying around. Lol.

Last edited:

Back