Mystery Rear Shocks on 04 Viper

duwem

I was talking to buddy who also has a Viper S about rear suspension setup. He was talking about infinite spring preload adjustment and mine only has notches/steps. Other picture of shocks for sale on eBay have the double nuts and threads.

Any idea what these are?

IMG_3386.jpgIMG_3387.jpgIMG_3389.jpg

That I believe is one of the original shocks off the 02 viper. Can Not rebuild them. I have both center and rear sitting in my attic from my 02 viper.

If I recall correctly, Yamaha offered a upgrade because they had so many complaints about the steel body shocks ride. you could by the KYB aluminum body shocks for like two or four hundred dollars. But you had to send your old steel body shocks back.

The later vipers came with kyb aluminum body shocks that are rebuildable with the double lock nuts. As did the viper s. No different.

The only other upgrade available from Yamaha for rear shocks were the Ohlins center and rear. And they are nearly impossible to find.

Someone probably just had them lying around, took off the good shocks and bolted them in place. Then sold the sled.

Last edited:
No guys. Those are the shocks that came stock on all the viper s sleds. They put the cheap non rebuildable shocks on to offset price of front ohlin. The rest of the 04’s got the standard rebuildable ones. Even the original viper had the rebuildable shocks.

No guys. Those are the shocks that came stock on all the viper s sleds. They put the cheap non rebuildable shocks on to offset price of front ohlin. The rest of the 04’s got the standard rebuildable ones. Even the original viper had the rebuildable shocks.

I stand corrected.
That would explain the shocks I have in the attic. I must have taken my KYB aluminum body shocks off my 02 viper and put them on my viper s. Guess I’m getting old and forgetful. Lol. It was almost 14 years ago.

Had the same shock on my Rx1. It blew and I bought a replacement from Kimpex, has the threaded adjustment and it was cheap. It has lasted the season which surprises me. On a side note...looks like it's time for some new bushings for you.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I'm gona talk to Carvers and see what kind of a sweet setup I should replace them with.

Back