Peak performance head tips

sxviper-s

I purchased a used peak performance head recently for sx viper.

Almost all the bolts we frozen in place. 5mm Allen heads that are stainless steel. I was un able to remove them at first. And I was afraid I might snap one or more off in the head.

So what I did was. Wash the head clean of any debris and or oils. Remove plastic Handel for carb heater. Remove domes and o rings. Placed in the oven to 425 degrees. I took head out once it was heated up. Took it out to garage and proceed to attempt removing the bolts. Two out of the seven came loose. The others were still stuck. So took head back to the oven and heated it to 475 degrees. When hot , i again attempted removal. This time using a small cordless impact gun. I gradually increase the impact, and the bolts came right out. No damage. I suppose there might be a possibility of it warping, but it would be highly unlikely. I was not able to find any difference after I was complete.

My reason for taking it completely apart is simple. I the head was anodized and faded. I did not like the color at all. So now that it is apart, I am going to power coat it a color I can live with. Lol.

Hope this tip comes in handy for someone else down the road.

Last edited:

Im doing the exact same thing, I used oven cleaner to remove the anodization, now gonna have it powder coated black.

Im doing the exact same thing, I used oven cleaner to remove the anodization, now gonna have it powder coated black.

Years ago I used the old original oven cleaner to do that. The last time I tried it the new oven cleaner would not work. What brand oven cleaner are you using?

I got it at the grocery store, but i agree, i’m sure you could blast if off also, quicker and with less mess.

go to the dollar store and get 4 cans of oven cleaner. empty cans on head or whatever else... let sit for half a day. it will remove and then start to take the outer oxy layer of aluminum off. Been doing this for years!

Back