sled storage routine

SilverCruzer

Snow is finally gone, so time to get the bike out and put the sled up for the summer/fall.

Is there a recommended routine to do for storing the sled for the off season? I have put stabilizer in the fuel
and have it up on a stand to take the weight off of the suspension. Other things I should do ?

Thanks for the help.

My Summer Storage Routine:

• Run engine to operating temp (HXs are hot)
• Raise rear skid, spin the track with the engine while spraying silicone spray to the track, tunnel, skid
• Drain fuel, add a gallon back to the tank along with 3-4 ounces of ATF
• Run engine for another 10 minutes (watching for overheat), applying half choke intermittently
• Drain fuel and use it for your lawnmower (its valve guides/stems will love you for it)
• Remove air-box
• Start engine and spray a half can fogging agent through the carbs
• Remove spark plugs and spray fogging oil into cylinders, reinstall plugs
• Install air-box, remove drive belt, spray everything under-hood with silicone spray
• Park in designated spot, lift sled off the ground from the chassis allowing suspension to hang
• Loosen track tension to negate the forming of corrosion spots to the drive and rear axle bearing races
• Cover and forget until November

Plug exhaust outlet

To this I would add:

- It is always good to run with Ring Free and the Yamaha stabilizer/conditioner in your fuel.
- Stiffen up the dose of stabilizer prior to storage. I think the storage dose is 80 mL/10L.
- Fog the bejesus out of it for about 2 minutes, spraying in the carb mouth.
- Don’t run it in the warm months at all.
- WD 40 and silicone spray are your friends.

Back