Thread: Building a Mountain Max. Any tips or advice appreciated

Default Building a Mountain Max. Any tips or advice appreciated

Hi Guys. This summer I am going to take a 1998 VMAX 700 with E-start and Reverse and make it into a mountain max. Any advice, tips or things to look out for are appreciated. The sled was my mom's and has 4500 easy "old lady" miles on it. Here are my tentative plans.

136 or 144 track with at least 1 1/2" lugs
    clutch and gear for the new track
    make a tall seat and re-cover the stock seat
    handlebar risers
    tunnel extension
    rail extension

Again, any advice on building this are appreciated. I am a Ski-Doo guy, and haven't done anything to Yamaha's except basic maintenance and wear items. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Weekendwarrior1969; 05-08-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff

brother rode a guys rx1 he extended to 136 with the new 1-1/2 talon track and he liked how it performed on the trail and in the powder. most likely my next track.

for the tunnel and rail extensions, i would go with hartman or tracks usa.

if going 144" i would reccomend 8 tooth extroverts as it will do most of the gearing for the track legnth and paddle. for 136" go 9 tooth extroverts trimmed for rail tips to clear. gearing should be good with a good clutch set-up.

i know stock cables are only good for 2" of riser.

boss did make a highrise flattop seat for those and i have seen a few used ones come up.
    sleds
    410cc reliable power (enticerII) rx tunnel braces
    500cc mutant margarita mixer (09 phazer rtx/x)
    1000cc of yamaha excellence (apex xtx)

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

As above. Hartman and track USA for tunnel extension and rail extensions. I ran a 144” with stock drivers and gearing on my vipers with no problems. Had a cobra 1.32 as the 1.6 was not available in a 144” for viper drivers. The 1.6 cobra is now made for the stock Yamaha drivers in a 144”. That would be a awesome set up.
    2002 Yamaha SXViper - Daughters
    E-start, reverse, extended to 144" with cobra track. Awesome EdgeWrap in purple and pink!!

04 Yamaha SXViper S - Extra
    E -Start, reverse, Ohlins all the way around, Extended to 144", cobra track! Cant get rid of this sled just yet!!

2016 Yamaha SRViper LTX-SE - Wifes.

2017 Yamaha SRViper LTX-LE - Mine

THE VIPER PIT IS NEVER COMPLETE! Bipolar!!!

https://www.tracksusa.com/m/product.htm?id=-452026

This would be a awesome track. Will fit with stock drivers and no clearance issues. Just have to remove heat exchanger protectors. No biggies as you will not be studding I’m guessing.
    2002 Yamaha SXViper - Daughters
    E-start, reverse, extended to 144" with cobra track. Awesome EdgeWrap in purple and pink!!

04 Yamaha SXViper S - Extra
    E -Start, reverse, Ohlins all the way around, Extended to 144", cobra track! Cant get rid of this sled just yet!!

2016 Yamaha SRViper LTX-SE - Wifes.

2017 Yamaha SRViper LTX-LE - Mine

THE VIPER PIT IS NEVER COMPLETE! Bipolar!!!

Go 144 w/ 8 tooth extros.
    Dannyboy

Senior Member Stock

What you intend to do with the sled will give us a better idea of what advice to give you. Are you off trail only, crossover? Where do you usually ride? How much are you looking to spend? Great sled btw.