Building a Mountain Max. Any tips or advice appreciated

Weekendwarrior1969

Hi Guys. This summer I am going to take a 1998 VMAX 700 with E-start and Reverse and make it into a mountain max. Any advice, tips or things to look out for are appreciated. The sled was my mom's and has 4500 easy "old lady" miles on it. Here are my tentative plans.

136 or 144 track with at least 1 1/2" lugs
clutch and gear for the new track
make a tall seat and re-cover the stock seat
handlebar risers
tunnel extension
rail extension

Again, any advice on building this are appreciated. I am a Ski-Doo guy, and haven't done anything to Yamaha's except basic maintenance and wear items. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

brother rode a guys rx1 he extended to 136 with the new 1-1/2 talon track and he liked how it performed on the trail and in the powder. most likely my next track.

for the tunnel and rail extensions, i would go with hartman or tracks usa.

if going 144" i would reccomend 8 tooth extroverts as it will do most of the gearing for the track legnth and paddle. for 136" go 9 tooth extroverts trimmed for rail tips to clear. gearing should be good with a good clutch set-up.

i know stock cables are only good for 2" of riser.

boss did make a highrise flattop seat for those and i have seen a few used ones come up.

As above. Hartman and track USA for tunnel extension and rail extensions. I ran a 144” with stock drivers and gearing on my vipers with no problems. Had a cobra 1.32 as the 1.6 was not available in a 144” for viper drivers. The 1.6 cobra is now made for the stock Yamaha drivers in a 144”. That would be a awesome set up.

What you intend to do with the sled will give us a better idea of what advice to give you. Are you off trail only, crossover? Where do you usually ride? How much are you looking to spend? Great sled btw.

just an update.......life happens and things come up, so I have not started this build yet. I will be riding my ski-doo's on the trail, but can't wait to build this mountain max. I will be riding it 75% off trail and deep snow and only 25% or so on trail. Can't wait. Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated. I am starting to collect parts. I would love to find a set of tripple pipes and muffler for a decent price.

What Vmax variant do you have? I looked at the 98 lineup but did not see only ....... Vmax.
98 700XTB & XTCB
98 700XTCDB
98 700XTCPB
98 700SX
98 MSRX 700
98 MM 700
98 Venture 700
98 Venture XL
98 Venture TR

Back