SRX Pipe Temp

Buster696

VIP Member
I have a SRX Imp Grass/Ice setup and wanted to ask what is the best pipetemp for best performance? Portedcylinders, Ported Carbs, Bender Big Bore Pipes (low rpm ver), stock CDI Box.

Attachments

• SRX RACE_1.jpg
    SRX RACE_1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 10

mike has the trail pipes. there were two versions of bender big bore pipes. trail and race, race run at 9500. 3:16x (yammie tony)

News to me! I was only aware of one set of pipes for the 835 big block, or, I should say, one set for the SRX chassis and one set for the Viper chassis. Learn something everyday.

so, if you have a race port bender big bore they only made a pipe that runs at 8100-86 , stock peak ? race pipes run at 9500 and are very hard to find 3:16x (yammie tony)

OP, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Tony, I was aware of different porting specs for the BB but was unaware of the need for different pipes. like I said, learn something new everyday!

i seen several bb trail pipes on the dyno. huge torque numbers and a very wide power band. race pipes were all different. 3:16x (yammie tony)

When we had 780 with stock cdi and trail big bore pipes on it we ran it at 1250 degrees but it will depend on your egt placement.

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, Tony is correct, there are two versions of the pipes out there. Not a lot of top end HP gain with the BB Pipes on a ported motor, etc. But any HP increase is a welcome ;) if I remember it's either 6 or 8in from the face of the piston for the EGT placement. When checking pipe temp via a heat gun/gauge my thought would be to be 700~800-deg or just get them even across all 3 cylinders when checking them.

I would be careful relying on infrared thermometer or EGT temp gauges. These tools may be useful once you have a baseline. Reading piston wash and plugs is the only reliable way to understand engine temp and fuel delivery. Then each time out with the sled temp change, barometer changes, and elevation will require another plug and wash evaluation and maybe...... another jet change.
---mac---

Mac is 100 percent right on watching your piston wash to get correct jetting. On the Digatron right the end of the run the egts will be 1200-1250degs. Thats with the egt probs 6" to 9" away. That's on improver 780 and improver 700. The stocker is even a lil higher than that. Not sure how hot it would read with a temp gun/guage

The following is comparing apples to grapes .... it is only food for thought.
My 96 twin 600(Mountain Max +) runs a bit over 1300*.
Piston wash looks like there is plenty of room for temp swings.
And runs like a scalded dog.
So .... like many have said, read the wash. If your EGTs are reading more that what you are comfortable with just ensure that your piston wash is where you want. If wash is fine at higher EGT temps, then that’s that. Leave it there.
My bungs were welded about 1/2 an inch too close.

I have seen over stock 99 srx on the tar run 1420. but you have to remember they don't run much timing so which means more heat in the pipe.

My 700 redhead slowly climbs to around 1350 and seems to have abit of room in the jetting yet. My probes are quite a ways downstream.

Back