'93 Exciter SX Differances from non-SX

hammyj

I had a '92 Exciter LE, dark green metal flake with modest gold striping, loved that sled. I am looking to buy another which is obviously hard to find but I have found some "SX"'s for sale.
I believe they have about 10 more HP than the others. My question is what are the differences between the SX and non-SX. Did they make a '94 exciter?

Thank You

Mike

I had a '92 Exciter LE, dark green metal flake with modest gold striping, loved that sled. I am looking to buy another which is obviously hard to find but I have found some "SX"'s for sale.
I believe they have about 10 more HP than the others. My question is what are the differences between the SX and non-SX. Did they make a '94 exciter?

Thank You

Mike
Sx had wider ski-stance with adjustable struts(preload?),ski-skins,wider handlebars,motor had different carbs(and porting?)and a better track.There was no Exciter for the 1994 model year as the new Vmax 500/600 replaced it.

Thank You low slung. To my knowledge all exciter front struts were adjustable with nitrogen. One of the key updates over the Phazer which never had that adjustability. Is the SX different? Do you or anybody remember what the min and max nitrogen pressure was?

Strictly my opinion: The Vmax never replaced the Exciter

Last edited:
The exciter II sx-93, is in my opinion, the most beautiful sled Yamaha ever made...crying my self to sleep every night....sold the one i had 15 years ago..

I had a 93 Exciter ll SX, it was crazy how much top end they had for what they were. It took a bit to get there, but they were a 100 mph sled.
I believe the "different carbs" were because they went to flat slide carbs...?

Back in the late '80's there was a tech bulletin that was put out by the folks at Yamaha R&D. It was a trail port job, shaved head, a shortened Y-Pipe and an internal muffler mod. Pat Hauck was known to do this mod for customers that asked before he was his own dealer while he worked for Motorsports of Rice Lake. I heard through the grape vine about this mod during a time when many people were piping their Exciters in the late 1980's to keep them in the game with the Indy 650's etc. I got ahold of Pat and ordered a brand new 1990 Exciter from him at Motorsports and had the whole update done. The sled was a bit faster than my dad and uncle's 1987's with the early version (good 8200 rpm version) PSI twin pipes. Traction was my biggest issue. My gut was this was the inspiration for the SX model.

About two years later I made the mistake of buying a 1992 Exciter II LE. Oh what a mistake......after some time and much $$ invested I found out you could not do squat with an Exciter II because Yamaha purposely detuned the 1991-1993 Exciter's with the ignition. Piping, porting.....nothing made that sled wake up. I finally asked Pat Hauck at an ice drag race how he got his 1991 to run so good. Here he finally told me he had to throw a 1987 ignition cdi on it. He had the same problems until Yamaha let him know.

I dumped the 1992 the next year and bought a 1993 SX, that sled I had for 4 years and had nothing but good experiences with it. I did swap the crappy 40 pound 3/4" Yoko track out with a 1" Camo Challenger that hooked better and weighed 32lbs so it spooled up quicker. I ran a Bender single pipe on it, the only SX purpose made pipe made by either AAEN or Dynoport, not sure. No more top end but crisper mid range and pulled an extra 2 lengths in the mid range during testing over the stock pipe. It sounded better, started better and was much lighter. The YXR primary was rather new and still had those white nylon plastic slide sleeves in the towers which caused binding. I swapped to a Comet 108C with either a tall Comet blue or a Polaris red spring (either worked) and 10M weights (49 grams) with the 87X belt. Motor needed nothing as Yamaha put the beans to this one, aggressive porting, shorter intake neck and flat slides for wicked throttle response, much like a YZ dirt bike response. That sled I could take out any triple piped Polaris I ran across, Storms, RXL's, Ultras and the Ski Doo's of the time. Never ran a 700 Cat though. It pulled over hard so for the heck of it I did a compression check, 150 psi per cylinder!! Yes Yamaha required premium fuel on this one. My understanding was they only made around 1300 of them.

Last edited:
I had the original owners manual and in there it mentioned it required premium fuel. When I traded the sled into the dealer I reminded them of this being it was the only one they had sold. The next season the dealer called me wanting to know if I modified the motor. I said no but why...? Well so N so told me you had it all modded. Well that guy was a sore loser who I whooped on pretty bad so he told the dealer don’t take it in a trade because I modded it. I told the dealer you get your best mechanic to look it over, never has a wrench touched that motor.

Here they sold it to a young high school kid who had a part time job there and he blew it up. I asked if he ran premium fuel....no he didn’t. I reminded him what the manual said....premium only.

I remember that magazine article and I questioned the 87 octane mentioned. I always ran 90-92 and never had issues but as I pointed out the kid that bought mine popped it immediately on 87.

i have a 1993 exciter 2 sx i picked up for 500$ i cleaned the carbs and it seems to run okay. my front suspension is shot though. i need to rebuild it..

Back