Triple Piped 97 Vmax 700 Sx redhead... Good buy? reliable?

neb_16

Hi Everyone,

I have been away from sledding for several years but am getting back in the game. This seems to be an outstanding resource!! Looking for a reliable sled that won't break the bank... heard great things about the yami read-head triple... found a 97 vmax 700sx, 3k miles, 120 even compression all 3 cyl (seems low?), starts 1-2 pulls, no problems, guy wants $900. Good buy?

most important for me is reliability... don't need tons of power, prefer less noise. The above sled does have triple pipes on it (unsure brand, looks like bender) which required matching jetting years ago he said. Is this going to hurt reliability? He is also including stock exhaust, but no stock jetting... Is it a PITA to re-jet all 3 carbs if I put stock exhaust back on?

I would very much appreciate any thoughts you guys might have

Thanks in advance!!

Those sleds are great, and a very reliable motor. 120 compression seems good, as long as they are all the same.
Stock is more reliable if that’s what your looking for.
If your intrested, I am looking for a set of Bender or CPR Pipes. I also have stock clutching, jetting, exhaust system ect.

Those sleds are great, and a very reliable motor. 120 compression seems good, as long as they are all the same.
Stock is more reliable if that’s what your looking for.
If your intrested, I am looking for a set of Bender or CPR Pipes. I also have stock clutching, jetting, exhaust system ect.

Thank you for the reply! I may be interested. I feel like it may bemore trouble than it's worth to try to convert the clutching, jetting, Etc back to stock configuration. Is there a pretty significant decrease in reliability / engine life with the triple pipes? Or is converting back to stock more trouble than it's worth? He is unsure of the brand of the pipes, unsure what size Jets came with it, and unsure if required clutch modifications or not... Attached is a pic of under the hood. Looks decent I suppose, for $900, but reliability is key...

Attachments

• 00a0a_iKjl8Jj1HkL_1200x900.jpg
    00a0a_iKjl8Jj1HkL_1200x900.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 24
  • ess1532030659176.jpg
    ess1532030659176.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 24
Those are bender pipes.
It will be fairly reliable IF everything is setup correctly.
Jetting is key with pipes, if it’s to lean, motor will burn down. If it’s too rich, will run poorly and get very poor mpg.
Pipes make the motor a little more finicky to temp, elevation change and fuel quality.
It really depends on the guy that put the pipes on and if he knew what he was doing or not.
But, may be iffy if he doesn’t even know what brand of pipes they are.
Returning it to stock should be pretty straight forward.
Things you would need would be jets, primary spring, weights depending on what he changed when the pipes went on.

Last edited:
Those are bender pipes.
It will be fairly reliable IF everything is setup correctly.
Jetting is key with pipes, if it’s to lean, motor will burn down. If it’s too rich, will run poorly and get very poor mpg.
Pipes make the motor a little more finicky to temp, elevation change and fuel quality.
It really depends on the guy that put the pipes on and if he knew what he was doing or not.
But, may be iffy if he doesn’t even know what brand of pipes they are.
Returning it to stock should be pretty straight forward.
Things you would need would be jets, primary spring, weights depending on what he changed when the pipes went on.

Thank you. In order to return to stock jetting, I'd need 9 jets total, (3 for each carb, correct?). So essentially looking at another ~$100-200 or so in parts to return to stock between jets and springs / weights.

My guess is you only will need to change the main and pilot jets. pilot jet should be a 45 stock, you probably will have a 50 or 52.5. You will need to check to see what's in there for sure.
If you go back to stock, you can use a 142.5 main jet in all 3.
Primary spring should be a White/Silver/White stock.
Secondary should have a green spring, with a 45 degree helix.

If you want to go back to stock, Im sure we can make a deal where I can give you all the stock parts you need, as I have duplicates of most everything.

My guess is you only will need to change the main and pilot jets. pilot jet should be a 45 stock, you probably will have a 50 or 52.5. You will need to check to see what's in there for sure.
If you go back to stock, you can use a 142.5 main jet in all 3.
Primary spring should be a White/Silver/White stock.
Secondary should have a green spring, with a 45 degree helix.

If you want to go back to stock, Im sure we can make a deal where I can give you all the stock parts you need, as I have duplicates of most everything.

Thanks. Yes, I would be interested Interested in your stock parts if I go ahead with this sled. Do you think this is a good buy for $900? Or would one of the fan cooled sleds me more reliable?

No way, in my book, the 700SX is about as good of a motor as you'll find for reliability.
Im sure many other would agree.
I have one that I paid $600 for, but the entire sled needed help, lots of it....
Now its my favorite one to ride.

Red headed triples are very reliable with pipes or without. Pipes usually raise the the rpm some, but if they are jetted correctly you should not have any trouble. This site has a specs section which shows what all the stock settings should be and if you search you can find out how to do it. If you do decide to go back to stock you can probably sell those pipe for 2 or 300 bucks.

I'm riding a new viper now, but still have my old SXR as a backup sled and is has had pipes and stock exhaust on it with no problems. The redheads are a little more forgiving than some 2 strokes with pipes.

Good luck whatever you do.

oh and if you decide to put it back to stock dont ride it with pipes first or you will be sorry. you will definitely notice the power loss.

hey neb_16, i have a 2000 vmax red head has 16,500 klm, on it, had it 9 yrs, got it with 122 compression, i have never opened it. far as i know it has never bin opened, it still has 120 compression cold and 118 hot

Back