Primary clutch removal

Vmax xtc 1997

hi,

I had to remove my primary clutch but was badly stuck.... ended up using the hammer lightly on the sheave(outside part) and damaged it, few dents on it. I am thinking of changing the entire clutch instead of installing something that might cause me trouble down the road. I like maximum power from 0 to 120/140kmh instead of high speed/fast.

Following advice from great guys here, I already did the notch reed, switch the cage for the srx one, installed new carbon tech petals, switch the can for a MBRP race and installed a 121 cobra 1.328 inch.

I was wondering If any had good advice as to which direction I should take for my primary clutch? and any other good stuff to get max power from 0 to 140Kmh (approx :) ohh and my sled is a 1997 vmax xtc 600 2 cylinders

futur projects are going from 121 to 136 and putting anti-ratchet.

also how do I get to be a paid member, so far this forum as been of great help and would like to benefit 100% of it since I also have a 2002 viper that I want to customize a bit!!!

Thank you for your assistance
Pascal

I look at the diagram on partzilla it seems that the yamaha clutch for my sled is no longer available.... can I get one from another kind of yamaha sled or need to find a used one?

Sorry for rookie questions, not afraid to get my hand dirty but still green in the modifications...

thank

I look at the diagram on partzilla it seems that the yamaha clutch for my sled is no longer available.... can I get one from another kind of yamaha sled or need to find a used one?

Sorry for rookie questions, not afraid to get my hand dirty but still green in the modifications...

thank

Anything from 97 all the way up to the Apex, Nytro, Vector will work on that sled.

Yep, if you look in the TY Tech section, you will see what weights, rivets, springs, rollers, ect were used in your sled, or just buy another clutch, and transfer the parts over.
Also, if you want to be quicker at lower speeds, I would gear down the top sprocket 1 or 2 tooth and leave clutching where it is. If you go 2 teeth, you will need a shorter chain.

Last edited:
thanks guys,

purchased another clutch this morning (1997 vmax). Now I will look into the sprocket.

And I guess that now that I have everything in double I can shave the others weights (equally) and play with that to experience the effect it can have....

Last edited:
When you get it, pay attention to what sled it came off, there were two different setups for Vmax 600’s in 97, three if you count the mountain max. Weights will be different from a xtc/xt to a SX. So will the roller size.

When you get it, pay attention to what sled it came off, there were two different setups for Vmax 600’s in 97, three if you count the mountain max. Weights will be different from a xtc/xt to a SX. So will the roller size.

Hi,

The fix and sliding sheave should all be the same, only the internal parts should be different If I understand correctly? for now I was thinking of just transferring over like NorthernSX said above... Unless there something I dont know. First time I am touching a clutch.....

Yep! Sheaves are the same, but if the one you just bought is off a xtc, no need to take it apart, just bolt it on and go.
If it’s from a SX, may need to either swap the rollers and weights from old clutch, or setup the secondary clutch to go along with the SX clutching, which would be going to a green spring, and a 43 helix instead of your stock 47.

If you need help, you can PM me and I can give you my number so you can text me.

Back