97 VMAX with Viper Suspension Question

4wealn

Hey guys, I have a question for you. I have been through this and other forum threads regarding the answer and have not really gotten anything solid. I am getting my 97 VMAX 700 SX ready for the coming season. I acquired a rear skid from a 2002 Viper and also the front shocks. I had all the shocks rebuilt and then installed everything. My question now is do I need to replace all the tie rods, radius rods and stabilizer bar with the longer ones from an XT or XTC (as I know that some of the Viper ones will not work in the SX) or can I just leave my rods from the SX in and just realign the skis and toe out. I don't think the longer rods are that much longer. Your input is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I did it to my SX, used viper shocks front and rear, longer limiter straps, and the correct transfer rod spacers. Used stock trailing arms and radius rods.
Works pretty good, much better than stock, but i should have lengthened the stock radius rods as much as possible with the adjustability with the threads on the radius rods.
Could have gained a little more width in the front, and in turn, more height.
Right now, when the sled is on smooth concrete, it pivots mainly on the front of the track, because I don’t have the width and height that I would with the longer rods.

Hope it helps.

I guess it is a bad time to post to get a few opinions as we are not close to the season.

Murder Yamaha, thank you for the reply. I was thinking of unwinding them and getting as much as I could from my current ones.

Yep, I think you will be happy by doing that. I am happy with mine, and have not unwound mine yet.
I think once I do it will be better yet.
I can definitely tell its narrower than my XTC when I ride it, but an SX is narrower from the factory anyway.
The viper shocks make a night and day difference if you do any ditch riding where your jumping approaches.

Back