03 Yamaha Vmax ER chain

bluebullet

So here we go, I bought this sled (03 600 Vmax er)for my grandson to start learning on..... anyway secondary shaft pulled out of the chain case when changing the belt. so I tore into chain case, Nut had come off( as expected) was able to get shaft back in... all set there. Went to install chain and just seems to tight too get back on. checked gears 21 top, 39 bottom, chain has 68 teeth.... all stock???? I have tried everything I can think of?? What is the trick or what am I missing?Please help
Thanks Blue

So here we go, I bought this sled (03 600 Vmax er)for my grandson to start learning on..... anyway secondary shaft pulled out of the chain case when changing the belt. so I tore into chain case, Nut had come off( as expected) was able to get shaft back in... all set there. Went to install chain and just seems to tight too get back on. checked gears 21 top, 39 bottom, chain has 68 teeth.... all stock???? I have tried everything I can think of?? What is the trick or what am I missing?Please help
Thanks Blue

Pull the chain tensioner out and slide it on with the bottom and top gear on the chain.

Thanks Tom, I guess I should of said that chain tensioner and reverse gear were out of the case. so I went to woodys yesterday, grabbed a new chain, talked to Kieth and told them my problem and he stated maybe they changed the gears to HV out of a viper. Anyway still not through this one yet. I am going to take the gears in this week? It just baffles me as to why I can't get this chain on ! I guess I understand why the chain was laying in the bottom of the case! Thats what happens when you buy a cheap sled you get others problems with no history! Last resort will be a 70T chain.

Thanks Tom, I guess I should of said that chain tensioner and reverse gear were out of the case. so I went to woodys yesterday, grabbed a new chain, talked to Kieth and told them my problem and he stated maybe they changed the gears to HV out of a viper. Anyway still not through this one yet. I am going to take the gears in this week? It just baffles me as to why I can't get this chain on ! I guess I understand why the chain was laying in the bottom of the case! Thats what happens when you buy a cheap sled you get others problems with no history! Last resort will be a 70T chain.

Can you post a picture? It baffles me too.

So I was able to get the chain back on yesterday, Really had to roll it on hard, installed chain on top gear, partially on lower gear.......till it was tight than grabbed secondary and pop it earthier came off or on and was on. lifted rear of sled and rolled track all good! must of just been tight from not being used for a couple years. On too the next issue..... Thanks

Yes, looks good rolled nice and quiet ! hand tightened and 1/4 turn backed off, locked locking nut. Thanks everyone!

Back