1989 enticer 400t bog????????

modmod1

Hi guys,

Have a 400t that starts great, runs great, everything about it is just fine with how it runs and how it performs. Problem is if you let it idle it will but then it will slowly start to go down in rpm and if you just give it gas to get it up again it will want to die so you need to gently feather the gas to get it to rev up.

Only thing i found when i got the sled was the last guy had the oil injector cable all the way down ( less oil i think) i read the manual and set the right amount of slack on the cable.

Could it be getting too much oil?

Thanks

sounding like a pin hole in one of the lines, crud in the carb or it is time for a ring job. i would try the carb 1st.

i have a 1990 400 t/r and it behaves like that when it gets crud in the carb jets. just redid the whole fuel system last season on it so i hope it is cured now.

one of my uncles had a 92 vk 540 with stupid high hours/milage without a rering that did this too. carb on it was clean as whistle and lines where good. just had weak pulse for fuel pump at idle from high milage.

My oldmans 1996 ET410 would do this on and off(couldn,t let it cut off on its own,bloody murder to get it going again).Changed out the plug caps with new ones seem to help but i would bet its water in the fuel.

They both provide 5k ohms of resistance. The two that I stated previously seal @ the plugs porcelain much better. Any Motorsports store(no matter the brand)will probably carry them. A Cat dealer is close to me and I got them there.

Well before i try plug caps i thought i try one more thing. i had the air idle screw at 1 turn out as it says on the web yet under my hood it says 1.5 turns , but anyways i reset it at only 1/2 a turn out and now it idles great.
So what is that telling me? is it OK to just leave as is?

that sounds like a bad carb boot or crank seal. i would check those before running it like that.

But.....just asking , the sled ran great all last year other than i could not let it idle for longer than say 30 seconds. If it was something like a boot or worse a crank seal ( BTW the screw was set a 1 turn out last year) would it not have ran poorly ? Plus i was told i should not be playing with anything on the carb while it is still warm out and to wait till the cold winter months are here. Thanks

well you can wait and set it again at -20 c and check the plugs to see how it is after riding it a bit.

well you can wait and set it again at -20 c and check the plugs to see how it is after riding it a bit.

So again,

If the screw is turned in does it lean the machine or does it make it run rich?

If turning in the screw makes it idle better does it mean at idle it was running too rich?

Back