Installed wrong heat exchanger. Will it cause issues?

Dcf1999

I have a 97 600XTC sled and the left heat exchanger[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]that's under the floor board went bad. I ordered a used one off ebay and it looked the same (Add didn't give part number). Anyways, it installed just fine and when I tried to hook up the hoses, the barbs on the exchanger are bigger. Looked at the ad again and sure enough they were off a 98 SRX 600 which is a different part number. After examining the picture closer, they have a larger cooling area as well.

I can make it work by using a 1" x 3/4" hose barb connector and a short piece of 1" hose on each end of the exchanger. That would adapt the larger diameter input and outputs of the new exchanger to my old hose. So my questions are as follows:

Will this cause any cooling issues? I mean, it's only one side with the larger exchanger but it's a little bigger cooling area.

I'm typically not the guy who "makes things work." I like to have the correct parts on the machine but this machine isn't a prize winner. It runs well but has a number of smaller "issues" that I'm going to eventually work out at a later time. Currently it's more of a weekend rider sled that will probably see less than 100 hours this winter.

I suppose I could order the correct one, but is it really necessary?

Thanks,

Dave

If you look in the Working Logs forum, under XTC 600, you will see I did the same thing one my rear heat exchanger.
The XTC just had a bypass tube, so I installed a rear exchanger from a SRX, used an adapter like you are planning, worked fine !

Back