98 srx 700 just purchased

stolzy

VIP Member
just picked up a 98 srx 700 5k mi. cosmetically sled looks pretty good, no issues.
mag side cylinder not firing
lights are not working and gauges on dash are doing nothing
will be working on it today any guidance would be much appreciated

pulled wire harness and have a bunch of rub throughs. harness was a pita to get out from under the engine. had to raise the engine a bit to fish the harness out.
is there a good way to reroute that harness? would like to find a different route for it if that is possible

I am putting a new harness in my project right now, and they are made to length to fit one way only.
I would suggest just fixing the harness, tape it up good, and maybe put some plastic wire loom around it.

Thanks for the response. Just finished soldiering up the harness. Don’t have any wire loom 😕. Another trip to the hardware store I guess. Pulled carbs and cleaned, all pilot jets were clogged. Guess the fuel tank should be drained as well. Speaking of fuel I don’t see any filter??? How difficult is it to sync carbs?

Syncing carbs is easy when they are off the machine, just need to have the same slide gap on all 3. Can’t recall the measurement, maybe someone can chime in.
Filters.
There are tiny screens on the needle and seat assemblies if I remember correctly.
Also, there is a in-tank fuel filter that you should take a peek at. Just replaced mine last week.

thanks for the link that helps.
i rerouted the harness along the coolant rail/top of carbs seems like it should work well guess we'll find out in a cpl months.
carbs cleaned and synced. all lights and dash are working as they should. sled started very easy and idles nicely. still need to check, clean, and set power valves. next weekend will be clutches. still debating on trying my hand in rebuilding them myself or not. been looking into different clutch set ups as well....mostly trail lake rider.
thanks again for the responses

Took clutches off and noticed the sheeve on the primary has very small grooves in it. I’m guessing that is caused by the belt ?can that be repaired or do I need to find another clutch?

if it has never been touched, you can get it machined to remove small grooves. have to let an expert do it though. mine are usually heat cracked when i get done with them.

theres a dealer an hr away from me with a machine shop in house. ill try to find time to run up there and see what they say.
primary has a g-w-g spring
secondary spring has just a pink dot on it
anyone know if these are stock?

quick update:
took clutches in and they will be able to get the grooves out. Will the clutch need to be rebalanced?

Back