Track weights

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
Anybody have a list of factory track weights ?
Looking for a new track, with less weight but more traction.
Looking to get better top end also.

almost anything is lighter than the stock yoko/yammy tracks are. heck i picked up 5mph going from a stock 1997 track to an 1-1/4" ripsaw on a 400 cc fancool on hardpack.

Thanks Dan, just the info I needed.
On a side note, was looking at which tracks all my sleds have, and see that my 2001 SRX has a 8DN track in it, looked it up and it says it’s an optional snowcross track.
Is this rare ? Don’t recall seeing one like this before.

The stock tracks are great for longevity. However, they have a substantial increase in the durometer rating which makes them last a good long time. But that higher durometer and lack of flexibility scrubs off a good amount of speed. I believe that the Hacksaw is a track that provides what you are looking for.
Check w/ all of the dealers around you. Including other brands. Many people have tracks removed on their newly purchased sled and replace w/ their choice. The "new take-offs" can be had for a nice price.

I had a camoplast energy on my srx, light track at 32 lbs and it hooked up good. I am now switching over to a composit talon 28, the talon is heavier but is 2 ply, I'm going this route because I want something that will last longer, I'm not that concerned about weight anymore.

Thanks Shaggy, I will research the energy as well.
Dan, what sleds came stock with a 121” hacksaw?

I don't know which models. And yes the Energy does hook very well when new. It does wear down pretty quickly on a higher hp sled. They work well for let's say a ..... Ovation,Inviter or Enticer type sleds. Shaggy did have a blast with it .... for probably @ 500 miles. But that SRX is waaaaaaay too much sled for an Energy. I put a 1" Kimpex Aggressor on my 97 SX7. That thing hooked great. But does weigh @ 38#s. Being built w/ Kevlar, it would last forever.
Every 3 lbs of rotating mass uses 1 h/p. So a 35# track uses 1 more horse than a 32# track. The weight along w/ a softer durometer is what makes the picked Hacksaw so friggin lethal. It's not a shinning star in the pow, but rocks on the trail.

Last edited:
The energy doesn't last a super long time, mine lasted way longer than 500 miles though. but even with mine missing half the lugs it still hooked up pretty good on the srx.

Well, thanks for the help with tracks guys.
Ended up ordering a Hacksaw.
Will post pics in my build thread when it goes back together.

Thanks !

For the premolded stud holes, start by filling all of the holes that will need double backers. After a test run, if it is determined that more studs are needed, add a companion hole next to one of the premolded ones. Leave the one hole adjacent to that one empty. Everything will be using double backers this way and a pull through is unlikely.
That was probably about as clear as mud.

Lol, thanks Dan, but not gonna run studs initially.
Also, don’t think I got the one that has the pre drilled holes.

Back