'86 Phazer carbs, full restoration

masgt6

Inherited by brother's 86 Phazer. He owned it for 33 years!
It runs, but only with the choke on.
Looking for carb service guidance. Service manual info if possible on carb dis-assembly, clean, setup...
Drawing/pics would be much appreciated.

masgt

It's likely that there is an issue with the teeny plumbing in the starter or pilot jet circuit(s) in the carb. Very common.

These are, I think, the twin Mikuni B38-32 carb rack. Definitely disassemble and clean as per the link Maim provided. Pay particular attention if there are any rubber plugs in the bowl. These can be confusing.

Chances are it only needs a cleaning, but with my 86, I needed to replace the rubber plugs in the bowl. When you put it back together, definitely check to ensure all of the cable plays are correct before you even attempt to touch the air screw position or anything like that. Usually it's 25 mm on the oil cable and 1.5 on the throttle cable, 1.5 or so on the starter plug cable.

These old carbs can be a little finicky, they are sort of a card house to get all set up.

Your issue could be deeper though, there could be some air leakage at the boots or crank seals.

This is just my 2 cents, others might have better intel.

Last edited:
Some good info guys. Phazers use apair of butterfly Mikunis. I've had no experience with this type...
Anyone have access to pics, service drawingsfor these "unique" types? ��

I've still not found the literature for the butterfly carbs. I did find some documentation on the round slides from another site.

The carbs were manufactured by Mikuni for vehicle OEMs, and as such, it's very difficult to track down good details from Mikuni literature.

The 86 ET TRK service manual that I have has a good exploded diagram of the fuel flow in the B carb. It shows the location of the plugs in a schematic sense, but not their actual placement. The plugs are a sticky tricky part so pay very close attention to where yours are. Even the service manual was incorrect on plug placement for a number of years.

There are a number of threads on snowmobileforum that deal directly with Phazer carbs.

Back