1998 Vmax SX Suspension Help

aaustins14

Hey y'all,

Looking to help out my Vmax SX suspension this season. As we all know, these sleds are a rough ride.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can put the rear shock from an XTC into an SX, and what modifications need to be made.

Need to get a new rear shock or rebuild anyway, so if I can get a longer travel that would be nice.

Thanks

Yes you can.
Parts you need:
1. Front and rear long travel shock (Viper, XTC, XT, ect.)
2. Long travel limiter straps
and if you want to get fancy
3. The proper white plastic spacers for upper and lower transfer rods.

tuning vid for rear suspension. https://vimeo.com/20218037

try to find an rx1 or viper rebuildable shock if you can. this will also convert it to the longer travel if it has not been already. there are posts on here on how to long travel an sx or srx that would have the info you need to long travel your rear suspension. i have never done it personally but other members have.

btw welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site. I just long travelled my 97 SX. I ended up buying a whole skid from an 02 Viper and had the shocks rebuilt and put it in. I also would suggest replacing the front shocks with the longer travel ones so you don't have a rake.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but you will need to lengthen the steering rods with the longer shocks in the front. You can let your current ones out or change them with ones from an XTC. I have been told that the Viper ones will not work.
I am eagerly awaiting the snow to try mine out. All I need to do now is lengthen the front steering on mine.

Awesome! Thanks Guys. I just stumbled onto this site and its a gold mine of great knowledge.

So basically I need all three shocks from either and xtc, rx1, or viper...and the limiter straps?

What do you mean by lengthening the steering rods? Like the tie rods?

Thanks so much guys.

The radius rods (4) are adjustable to a point, shorter and longer, if you put the long travel shocks in front as well, it’s best to lengthen the rods. That will actually allow the front to sit higher as well, with a wider stance.

Ok. I think I know what you are talking about. There are two each side? An upper and lower on each side? Sorry for the basic questions, I haven’t pulled my sled outta storage yet, so I’m trying to visualize it.

Second question I have: Last year I had the skid out to change all the bearings, when I went to put it back in it was the biggest pia and took 2 of us and ratchet straps to get it where it needed to be. I’ve heard it shouldnt be that hard. What am I missing??

for a pro action, that is one of theways to install the skid. that is how i do mine.

the rear suspensions shocks from and rx 1 will fit. the front ski shocks are way too long.

So basically curse at it for 2 hours until it wants to go in!? Haha

I've heard there are better ways.. Anyone??

I rachet strap the forward W arm down, and back off the transfer rod bolts. I can usually install my skid in 30 min by myself using this method.

Is the W arm the one that is 'floppy' when it is off? And which are the transfer rod bolts?

Sorry for all the questions... but thanks

Check your mounting holes in the tunnel(By the footrest)to see if the bolt holes are round out more(Happen to my RX warrior).My W-arm has been welded twice and still going,makes one hell of a knock off square edge humps at low speed:shock:

Ok. I know exactly what you are talking about. Yea I had it out just before last season and didn't notice any bad holes.

However that aluminum rod that goes through the W arm... Well last season when I was putting it back in the aluminum threads got screwed up, and ended up snapping the bolt in there....That sucked.

The radius rods (4) are adjustable to a point, shorter and longer, if you put the long travel shocks in front as well, it’s best to lengthen the rods. That will actually allow the front to sit higher as well, with a wider stance.

Hey Murder, I just lengthened my radius rods and then had to adjust the toe in/out. My only concern is that there is a lot of threads exposed t the point where it might be too much and cause a failure. Should I replace the radius rods and the tie rods with ones from a long travel sled? I lengthened the rods as per the values in the tuning manual for the long travel radius rods. Then my skis were completely pointing toe out and by adjusting the tie rods they are now straight. Last thing I want is to have a steering failure on the trail because they are turned out too far for their length. My stance is bang on at 42"
Thanks in advance.

My SX is not at all the way out. It’s actually pretty narrow still, when I get it back in the garage, I will be lengthening them.
If you think about it, there is not a lot of stress on the in and out of those rods. I wouldn’t get real concerned about it. Just put it where you feel comfortable.

Back