Viper Chain case seal leak...

S.S.Viper

Hey there...

I noticed my chaincase seal is leaking on the trackside...I'm going to fix this myself...however I was
told since I'm 'that far' I might as well investigate other drivetrain parts that might need replacing...
So I'm curious...what other parts should I put on the order so I can do it all at once...And...curious
if anyone has done this..and any tricks?

Please and thanks

YOP

i would say do the bearings while you are in there as that might be why the seal has failed. i know all balls makes upper and lower shaft kits with all the bearings, seals and o-rings you need to the job. gears and chain i would inspect once apart for wear but with low milage, they should be fine.

Yep, I just ordered a kit for the jackshaft, and the chain case for my build off ebay.
Same kit Maim is talking about.

Do the clutch side drive axle bearing, do the chain case bearings and chain while in there. honestly, you can save the money if you really want and go straight to a bearing manufacture with seal and bearing numbers. if you do that, make sure the dive axle bearing has solid point set screws. have had the ball point ones spin on me an ruin an axle shaft. do not swap the lower and upper collars, take a picture of the parking brake while dissembling. typically can just clean and re-grease the jack shaft bearing by secondary as is does not have to deal with the water like the drive axle bearing. put bearings in the freezer and heat the case with a torch so they fall right in. watch the drive axle splines do no mess up the seal when sliding it through. loctite on the lower bolt holding the gear on the axle shaft. hit the seal surfaces and collar with white lithium grease or chain case oil upon assembly and bolt it together.

wow thanks to all for your response...I've got the parts on order(if they already haven't arrived yet)..going to play hooky from work and take the Vipe to my
brother-in-laws shop and work on it there...I was told the whole skid will need to be removed in order get at everything..hmmm...don't konw why I'm nervous
but I guess once the first bolt is removed..there's no turning back..lol...cheers and thanks ...

Back