Srx WTF

BigIron2

Well I gotta say what a disappointment from yamaha. How dare they put the srx badge on that cat. The srx was the icon sled for yamaha. When you say srx people remember from the late 70's then the rebirth of the icon in 98. These were 100% yamaha .they stood out and nobody made a sled that even resembled it. Now yamaha paints a sidewinder blue and a tiny windshield oh and a little 1" track and calls it a srx. Very sad. I realize the industry is quickly shrinking but that sidewinder doesnt deserve the srx badge. In my opinion . Now had they created a new 800 2 stroke and stuffed it in that cat chassis that would of been deserving of the srx badge but to name a sled that already had a name then try to call it an srx was a huge slap in the face. Shame on you yamaha!!! My 2000 srx will be the last Yamaha I will own unless they are able to bring out another 2 stroke . Yamaha no longer holds majority in the 4 stroke market and the competition has clean 2 stroke sleds I'm afraid yamaha has grossly failed. Thunder cat, sidewinder and sidewinder srx. Hmmm same sled different color. Very sad!!!

If it were a Yamaha 2 stroke engine in a cat chassis it still wouldn't deserve the SRX name. The new SRX or should I say blue sidewinder with SRX badging does look sharp but what a joke calling it an SRX.

Early SRX diehards could make the nearly the same argument when the trailing arm 700 got the SRX badge. SRX was also used on motorcycles. Even Cadillacs.

One could even make the argument that the 76/77 SRX's were the only ones deserving that badge. They were after all the only SRX's that were factory built race sleds. All the others were trail sleds that carried the original race sled SRX name.

At this point the water is so far over the bridge I don't think it is a problem at all.

My opinion from what I have read here over and over and over again is that so many guys are so pi$$ed that Yamaha quit making 2 stroke sleds that they will complain about it every time the think they have an argument.

But that's just me,, opsled

WOW easy now! What lit a fire under your but in November? Sled was released in feb. Either way it’s just as deserving of the SRX badge as it was in 98, as the same for the viper. Which IMO other then stock pipes the viper was by far a better sled all the way around. A set of pipes and it blew any SRX away. Yamaha hasn’t led the market in 4 stroke sales despite only making 4 strokes. Skidoo held that prize. Yamaha just made the best 4 stroke. This yamacat or whatever you want to call it is by far the best riding Yamaha sled with a incredible power plant ever made. There isnt a realistic old school SRX around that could compete with the new. Hey I love the ol 2 strokes too. . But unless you’ve never put real seat time in one I would hold judgment. Yamaha is not going anywhere but it’s highly unlikely they will ever dabble in 2 stroke sled technology again. I for one love the Yamaha arctic cat partnership. I just cannot wait to see what they do when the chassis is build around the engine and not the other way around.

WOW easy now! What lit a fire under your but in November? Sled was released in feb. Either way it’s just as deserving of the SRX badge as it was in 98, as the same for the viper. Which IMO other then stock pipes the viper was by far a better sled all the way around. A set of pipes and it blew any SRX away. Yamaha hasn’t led the market in 4 stroke sales despite only making 4 strokes. Skidoo held that prize. Yamaha just made the best 4 stroke. This yamacat or whatever you want to call it is by far the best riding Yamaha sled with a incredible power plant ever made. There isnt a realistic old school SRX around that could compete with the new. Hey I love the ol 2 strokes too. . But unless you’ve never put real seat time in one I would hold judgment. Yamaha is not going anywhere but it’s highly unlikely they will ever dabble in 2 stroke sled technology again. I for one love the Yamaha arctic cat partnership. I just cannot wait to see what they do when the chassis is build around the engine and not the other way around.

Well said.. I like my two strokes. Owned an RX1, loved it. Been on Apex, Phazer, Nitro sleds. All good for what they are built to do. Raced the river last Jan with two young guys on Winders for a whole day. I had my Vmax-4. Switched up with the one guy for a while. We were both smiling. Those Winders are wicked fast on the straights but couldn't carve a corner like the old 4. They had advantage in the straights, I did in the corners, top end was close. We went back and forth all day. On rougher trails they would have been gone.

A great day for us all. New young vs old old.

opsled

Be it turbo obviously it's going to be faster that's not even relevant here . Sidewinder srx is the problem . It's not the best riding yamaha it's a cat and nothing more . When they made the triple 700's they were 100% yamaha just like the srx's of the 70's . My complaint is they just put the srx on a sled that isn't a yamaha. It would be as offensive as Ford calling the focus a "focus Corvette". They put a 1 inch track on it and called it fast lol. Seems they did that before in 98. Put a tiny paddle on a powerful sled now it cant stop, cuts trenches cant hook up . I'm not saying the sled isn't fast it just isn't deserving of the srx badge. Bye bye yamaha I've gone to polaris .

Be it turbo obviously it's going to be faster that's not even relevant here . Sidewinder srx is the problem . It's not the best riding yamaha it's a cat and nothing more . When they made the triple 700's they were 100% yamaha just like the srx's of the 70's . My complaint is they just put the srx on a sled that isn't a yamaha. It would be as offensive as Ford calling the focus a "focus Corvette". They put a 1 inch track on it and called it fast lol. Seems they did that before in 98. Put a tiny paddle on a powerful sled now it cant stop, cuts trenches cant hook up . I'm not saying the sled isn't fast it just isn't deserving of the srx badge. Bye bye yamaha I've gone to polaris .

Don't let the door hit ya in the a$$ on the way out.. I'm sure you'll be much happier on a Polie.

opsled

I'll never quit riding Yamaha sleds and switch to some other brand....I just won't own an a half breed Cat/Yamaha. I don't care how fast they are or how soft the suspension is, it's still mostly an Arctic Cat, their build quality and fit and finish is nothing compared to a real Yamaha sled. So....till Yamaha comes out with something that is all Yamaha again, I'll be riding my old, real Yamaha SRX!

I sort of feel the same but I miss the old days. The golden age of snowmobiles, (70’s), was the best in my opinion. But that was a different time. Actually the first Yamaha branded SRX was a very rare, limited hand built pure race PDC sled in 1974. The name was dropped in 75 but brought back in 76. Though it was intended as a race sled it was sold to the general public and some people actually tried to trail ride them. In 77 it was basically redesigned with a widened aluminum bulkhead, new suspension, new porting, reshaped heads, crank, ignition and exhaust, hooked handlebar, shorter skis, and was strictly intended for racing only. Although other guys said you could buy them off the floor In my area you couldn’t buy a 77 unless you could prove you were only going to race it. I believe you had to have a registered USSA race number. Basically every year SRX had some form of mechanical and cosmetic change. I still race a 76 SRX and my newest sleds are a 78 SRX, and a 78 Exciter 440, (fun sled to ride). I’ve ridden the new stuff but not really interested. If I was to buy a new Yamaha I’d get an 18 anniversary Apex though. Great looking sled. I to wish Yamaha would, (and believe they can), develop a screaming two stroke in their own chassis. Not a fan of the Cat Yamaha team up but who cares really. It could change again down the road. As for the SRX re-re-re branding. It’s been used and worn over the years. Even by Skiroule.

Last edited:
In a few months time we will know what yamaha got for 2020 but i feel its going to be mostly co-branded cats.If we see a new yamaha two-stroke it will be this badge -engineering model https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/se/sv/products/snowmobiles/crossover/mp-600-xe-transporter/ The 2019 SRX is a big improvement over the SR viper but its still built by Cat:shock:Seems the snowmobile side of Textron(Arctic cat) is bleeding money https://powersportsbusiness.com/top...estructured-textron-sv-laying-off-400-report/ It would be awful to lose a sled manufacturer,one less competitor hurts innovation.The all in for yamaha/Cat partnership may sink both ships.....lets hope not.https://snowgoer.com/news/snowmobile-manufacturers-report-third-quarter-results/26607/

Last edited:
"Gone to Polaris" And that says it all, just here to stir up shit. The new SRX is well deserving of the name as far as I'm concerned. Baddest sled ever built to date, exactly what the SRX name is about

Back