Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Srx WTF

Senior Member Open Mod shaggyzr2's Avatar

I'll never quit riding Yamaha sleds and switch to some other brand....I just won't own an a half breed Cat/Yamaha. I don't care how fast they are or how soft the suspension is, it's still mostly an Arctic Cat, their build quality and fit and finish is nothing compared to a real Yamaha sled. So....till Yamaha comes out with something that is all Yamaha again, I'll be riding my old, real Yamaha SRX!

Junior Member Mini

I sort of feel the same but I miss the old days. The golden age of snowmobiles, (70’s), was the best in my opinion. But that was a different time. Actually the first Yamaha branded SRX was a very rare, limited hand built pure race PDC sled in 1974. The name was dropped in 75 but brought back in 76. Though it was intended as a race sled it was sold to the general public and some people actually tried to trail ride them. In 77 it was basically redesigned with a widened aluminum bulkhead, new suspension, new porting, reshaped heads, crank, ignition and exhaust, hooked handlebar, shorter skis, and was strictly intended for racing only. Although other guys said you could buy them off the floor In my area you couldn’t buy a 77 unless you could prove you were only going to race it. I believe you had to have a registered USSA race number. Basically every year SRX had some form of mechanical and cosmetic change. I still race a 76 SRX and my newest sleds are a 78 SRX, and a 78 Exciter 440, (fun sled to ride). I’ve ridden the new stuff but not really interested. If I was to buy a new Yamaha I’d get an 18 anniversary Apex though. Great looking sled. I to wish Yamaha would, (and believe they can), develop a screaming two stroke in their own chassis. Not a fan of the Cat Yamaha team up but who cares really. It could change again down the road. As for the SRX re-re-re branding. It’s been used and worn over the years. Even by Skiroule.
    Last edited by cotterpin; 01-01-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Senior Member Improved low slung's Avatar

In a few months time we will know what yamaha got for 2020 but i feel its going to be mostly co-branded cats.If we see a new yamaha two-stroke it will be this badge -engineering model https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/se/sv/pr...e-transporter/ The 2019 SRX is a big improvement over the SR viper but its still built by CatSeems the snowmobile side of Textron(Arctic cat) is bleeding money https://powersportsbusiness.com/top-...ff-400-report/ It would be awful to lose a sled manufacturer,one less competitor hurts innovation.The all in for yamaha/Cat partnership may sink both ships.....lets hope not.https://snowgoer.com/news/snowmobile...results/26607/
    Last edited by low slung; 01-02-2019 at 01:44 PM.

"Gone to Polaris" And that says it all, just here to stir up shit. The new SRX is well deserving of the name as far as I'm concerned. Baddest sled ever built to date, exactly what the SRX name is about
    I just post here to hear myself type

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12