2001 stock rear skid SRX is extremely stiff, need help.

yamahaapex07

My uncle bought a 2001 SRX with a stock rear skid. I have a 2001 with an Expert X rear skid. His has adjustable Bender transfer rods. With that being said, the rear end doesn't sag more than an inch when standing and jumping on the rear bumper. We loosend both rear springs down til they only hold the spring tight but it's stiff as a board. I also have a 2001 SRX set up as an Improver and compared all parts of the 2 rear ends to make sure that they are both the same, they are. How do we get the suspension to sag properly???? We have experience with many different Yamaha snowmobiles, 2007 Apex, 2007 Attack, 2 600 V-Max, 2002 Yamaha Viper, and an 880 V-Max 4 Improver. We have had shocks revalved on different sleds, but I'm not sure this is the issue, usually the valving is an issue on big hits or higher speed..... Springs, revalving, etc....... any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!!

Last edited:

Why not do what I did. Get hold of an APEX suspension and put it in. The adapter brackets are only $75 and you can score an Apex skid for around $350.00. For that sum total you cant even get the stock SRX shocks revalved!!!!!

My uncle bought a 2001 SRX with a stock rear skid. I have a 2001 with an Expert X rear skid. His has adjustable Bender transfer rods. With that being said, the rear end doesn't sag more than an inch when standing and jumping on the rear bumper. We loosend both rear springs down til they only hold the spring tight but it's stiff as a board. I also have a 2001 SRX set up as an Improver and compared all parts of the 2 rear ends to make sure that they are both the same, they are. How do we get the suspension to sag properly???? We have experience with many different Yamaha snowmobiles, 2007 Apex, 2007 Attack, 2 600 V-Max, 2002 Yamaha Viper, and an 880 V-Max 4 Improver. We have had shocks revalved on different sleds, but I'm not sure this is the issue, usually the valving is an issue on big hits or higher speed..... Springs, revalving, etc....... any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!!

Just have the shocks freshened up, that would help. I had mine done for around $30 per shock by Eric the shock guy. If you go with a different skid like an apex skid, then your rear will be long travel and the front will still be short making the sled sit higher in the back which you don't want, won't handle as good as it would with stock skid, you would need to also long travel the front of the sled.

https://www.facebook.com/EricTheShockGuy#!/EricTheShockGuy/info

Once again you can long travel the front end and widen it. Well worth it. BETHEVIPER makes the adapter brackets to run the longer VIPER shocks on the SRX chassis. Add the wider control rods and you are done. the VIPER trailing arms are an added bonus but not 100% needed.

It doesn’t. We are wondering if the adjustable transfer rods are too long, we are going to try that first and have the shocks revalved.... thanks for the input everyone!

i was just going to suggest that shaggyzr2. they might have blown the long travel rear shock or never put them in.

There are two holes in the slide rail to mount transfer rods,,, the transfer rod is in the wrong hole,, .. Long story for here but check it out, or could ruin track...…

Back